What's new

Rear projection mirror size? (1 Viewer)

Energi2er

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I am building a rear projection system for a flight simulator and I have search the forums here and I cant find out how I know what size mirror to get and how far I need to mount it from the screen.

Do I just get a mirror exactly one half size of the image I want and bounce the image off of the miurror at the half way point of my throw distance?

seems like that would work with any projector just different projectors would give me different throw distances.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Are you using a mirror to cut throw distance, or reverse the image?
My 4805 has a setting to reverse the image for rear projection. I would imagine most other projectors do.
If you are trying to cut down on the throw distance, I would think any mirror would work. The mirror size would be proportional to its location. The closer to the projector, the smaller it could be. The closer to the screen it is mounted, the bigger.
Dave

Energi2er

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Im using a front surface mirror to do both fold the throw distance and reverse the image. in a rear projection system the image is reversed from a front projected image, then projected to the back of the screen. when viewed from the other side of the screen (the front) the image gets flipped back around.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The 1/2 way point will give you the shortest "folded" distance. The image should be about 1/2 size at that point. I don't think it would matter if the size of the mirror is bigger then needed at that point. Once set up, you could mask off the unused area if it caused problems.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks