Rear Projection HDTV Sugestions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Moritz, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am currently looking to replace my 11 yr old 31" tv with a 50" - 55" HDTV Rear Projection TV. I am stuck with a budget of $1000 - $1500, $2000 max. The goal is to end up with a hdtv that has a great picture if possible. I want to avoid any tv with blocky edges. I am looking a Mitsubishi and might consider a Sony. What sets would you recomend and what sets should I stay away from?

2. John S

John S Producer

Stay away from RCA....

Try to get the size of the CRT guns.. 9" is better/best.

Aside from that, only you can decide what looks best.

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thanks John I apreciate the input. Was just at a Showcase Home Entertainment today and I think the Mitsubish I was looking at had 7" crt guns in it. The salesman said that the crt would last longer but the edges where not as sharp and the viewing angle was not as good as dlp. And even though the crt's lasted longer than dlp the color guns did not wear evenly and I would have to readjust them. I have not been a fan of Sony or Samsung over the past 7 years so I have felt I should stay away from them. The Samsung DLP I saw today had a nice picture but the outside of the tv looks like cheap plastic. The new Sony's looked good but Sony leaves a bad taste in my mouth [​IMG]

Am hoping to have a nice new hdtv by the 4th week of September. Any other input would be greatly apreciated [​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

I dunno, I decided on a Philips... Not so popular by any means on here. I did buy it on my needs and picture quality though....

5. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

Dave you considered the LCOS techonoolgy ?
    The JVC DILA?

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I got a samsung 47 inch tv from sam's club.. also came with a free tv stand. you might want to check there.. I got mine for 1100.. it might be cheaper like 999 now.

JACOB

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I havent really thought about JVC really. My last trip to check out HDTV's the salesman told me they had a discontinued 50" HD DLP Samsung that was $3800 retail and they where selling it for $1800. And it was new in the box unopened, but I dont have the cash yet and I also have terible credit [​IMG] . And I would have to pay it off in two weeks because it was a discontinued model. I am going to most likely try for a DLP because of the crisper picture with a wider viewing angle. These are the HDTV rear projection sets I am considering so far.

Mitsubishi
    Samsung
    Sony

How do the Hatachi compair and is there a Pioneer or Pioneer Elite in the $2000 range with a great picture? I will check out the JVC if I happen to see any my next trip out shopping. Also how do the Toshiba's stack up against Samsung & Sony's in the $2k range?

8. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

In the 2k range you won't find many legit Pioneers or Elite -- thats wishful thinking. I'd stick with the Samsung for quality and price. Just my opinion...

You may still find some HLP series around but I also look at the HLR -- the newer model with tuner and cable card. Remember Samsung was the first to come out with the DLP RPTV technology that seems to give them some credit

Also RCA is on their 3rd 4th generation TV and are priced reasonably ...

RCA Scenium HD50LPW165 DLP TV
    also 44"
    under 2k!

Tico
    [email protected]