What's new

Rear Projection DLP's (1 Viewer)

MalcolmC

Auditioning
Does anyone know anything about rear projection DLP's? A few companies make them-OptomaTV, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, etc., how do they compare to CRT units? (brightness, resolution) I was thinking of a 65 Cimema Series Toshiba. Now I think I will research the DLP unit too. Any thoughts/opinions out there?

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Aside from the fact that DLP RPTV's from the companies you mention are way way more expensive than the TOshiba.

Regards

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say that Samsung is probably out front in the rear-projection DLP market right now. They offer a 40 ($3000), 50($4000), and 61 inch ($5000) sets that are VERY impressive. It is my opinion that they offer a better picture with fewer "ideal seating position" limitations than ANY standard rear-projection set... and that includes the Pioneer Elite juggernauts. Some purists will argue that CRT will always be better... blah, blah, blah. Go see for yourself. Look at them side-by-side right out of the box. The future of projection TV will be between DLP and LCOS... and the early front-runner is DLP.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Todd, I sell the samsung and not to mince words but they are UNRELIABLE....so many in for repair that I avoid them like the plague...The other unfortunate problems they have are the component inputs on the back which don't allow for hd/progrsseive dvd switching through a rcvr. Also they have no discrete ir capability...the "workaround" on the pronto sucks...now the panasonic looks better and has none of the problems mentioned, but they don't make a smaller one ....I need to find a 40-46" DLP....anyone?

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear about the quality issue... the Samsungs are good looking sets. I'm not sure I understand how component inputs wouldn't allow for switching through a receiver. Please explain?

I'll try to find a smaller DLP as well. Thanks.

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, I just found this... 50 inches, but very thin. Mustang chips and a CES Innovation Award winner. Perhaps this would work for you?

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2003--Optoma Technology, Inc., a leading developer of projection and digital display products, today will unveil the new Optoma RD50(TM) and RD65(TM) big screen high-definition TVs, selected as winners of the CES 2003 Innovations Award. The judges, a panel of 25 industry designers, engineers and journalists, have awarded RD50 and RD65 in the Video category for innovative design and engineering, delivering brilliant high-definition onscreen images. These award-winning TVs are developed with the latest Texas Instruments HD2 Digital Light Processing(TM) technology and provide unparalleled clarity, color and brightness. Optoma will demonstrate the leading-edge TVs today at The Innovations 2003 Design and Engineering Showcase and also this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), where Optoma will introduce two other new products, Optoma H56(TM) home theater projector and Optoma EzPro 737(TM) digital projector.

The Optoma RD50 stands out from the competition as the thinnest 50-inch projection TV -- only 14.7 inches deep. Likewise, the RD65 delivers a size advantage as the first 65-inch HD2 DLP(TM) television, giving consumers a 70% larger viewing area than a 50-inch screen, currently the largest HD2 TV available. In addition, the televisions feature the most advanced non-reflective screens made with DenseDetail(TM) material to increase brightness and clarity and also provide wider viewing angles than other TVs.

Both systems offer a total of 9 picture formats, including native 16:9 format at 1280 x 720 resolution and special conversions from traditional 4:3 formatted media. In addition, these TVs provide high levels of contrast (1500:1) and brightness (600 cd/m2) -- up to 3 times brighter than many CRT televisions. Ideal for business or entertainment, RD50 and RD65 feature the most extensive set of image adjustments, Picture-in-Picture (PiP) and Picture-outside-Picture (PoP) functions, plus front and rear connectivity panels with a complete set of computer, video and stereo inputs. RD50 and RD65 are expected to be available in February priced at $4,995 and $5,995 (MSRP), respectively.

"Optoma has been leading industry innovation with our DLP technology, and the company's expertise is now resulting in products that are drawing wide critical acclaim for their outstanding image quality," said John Van Scoter, vice president, Texas Instruments. "I congratulate Optoma for winning the CES 2003 Innovations Award for this new DLP technology-based product line."

Todd_RIC

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,

Here's another one... Panasonic 40" Widescreen Rear Projection LCD HDTV Monitor Model: PT40LC12

It's an LCD rear projection as opposed to a DLP, but many of the same benefits. There aren't a whole lot of projection sets (even standard RP) available under 50 inches... have you considered the Gateway 42" plasma TV for $2999?

James Dailey

Auditioning
Matthew, it sounds like though that Samsung is making some big changes in their newer DLP units, the N series. Hopefully some of those issues will be resovled.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Actually ,I had heard that the pronto-friendliness issue had been fixed on the new ones...no word yet on the merging of their 480p/720p/1080i component in with the 480i format (couldn't use reg. satelite programming on same input as hd)
....I still don't trust the company...been burned toooomany times and my reputation for recomendations of equipment is tooo important!.....
I am mostly an audio (music) guy and my stand in the small family room of my old farmhouse barely holds all my equip. in a double width configuration , it's about 42" wide by about 19" deep....hence DLP......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks