Rear Projection Display Problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Glass, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Glenn Glass

Glenn Glass Auditioning

I see a single green dot on my screen, during white or light colored background scenes. For lack of a better word, I would describe it as a pixel, although that may be inaccurate.

It doesn't move from scene to scene, and it is always there.

I have a brand new 57H82 Toshiba HDTV and there is a protective screen in place that has never been moved or altered. I have had the set up and running for 3 days.

What do I do? I will call the seller (One Call) tomorrow. Is this something that can be fixed under the manufacturers warranty, or do I have to get a new set?

Thanks for your replies....

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Glenn,

If you don't see it in dark scenes, it's probably a red defective ("off") pixel.

Because the set is new, contact the dealer. He may be able to tell you exactly what's the cause.
    Officially, one or two defective pixels are no reason to switch, but if it's in a nasty place (near the centre) they often do.
    Also, the policy is generally relaxed a bit, and consumer organisations are of the opinion you shouldn't have ANY defective pixel nowadays (with much better production techniques and much more sold than in the beginning time of the LCD technology).

Cees

3. Barry_W

Barry_W Auditioning

Glenn,
    I'm a home theater designer/installer in NY. We primarily do plasma. We had situations and actually with my personal NEC plasma I had a bad pixel when I got it. My distributer told me to leave on for 24-48 hours with no input. I thought he was out of his mind but you know what it fixed itself and that was 3 years ago.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Wait a minute. This isn't a plasma or LCD set, so how could it have a dead pixel problem?

I think we're not quite getting enough info here to diagnose the set. Having a technician look at it is the best bet, and he'll let you know if it can be fixed, whatever it is.

Good luck!

Jan

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to displays/TV's/Projectors area.