What's new

Rear Projection and Wall Colors (1 Viewer)

WojtekZ

Grip
I am having a really hard time trying to figure out wall colors for my HT room to be. The room is small 11x14 with 8 foot ceilings. I am planning on putting a Samsung 46" display in the room with a sofa (likely black leather) about 8-10ft back from the screen). I have the following questions:

- What colors would people recommend for an HT room
(Wipe Acceptance Factor is not an issue)

- Is there any sense in painting the room if using rear
projection.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dark colors will work nicely. I used to have a dark forest green in my room. I would recommend going with a color that mathes your decor and makes for a comfortable room fo you.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I painted my room of similar size a dark flat gray with khaki colored baseboards and window frames. It looks great and fades to complete black with the lights off.

yes, I painted the ceiling too.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
In general, the darker the room the less light reflection you will get from the screen and/or lights in the room. Having a dark wall behind the RPTV will help make the screen stand out more and give you an illusion of increased contrast...since your eyes are only gathering light from the screen rather than also from bright or light colored backbrounds...make sense?

I went with black front wall and deep red/blue/black in my theater...you can see pics at my website below.

In short, do what you guys like and can live with...it's about your enjoyment! :D

E

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
I went with a dark carpet and dark walls with the ceiling painted the same color. The furniture is black leather and the room fades to complete black. I can't remember the exact info, but I have the paint color on my web site, link in sig.

Cheers,
Chris

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Something to consider, when painting the wall behind the RPTV. I have not tried this yet, but I intend to, since my eyes get tired if the TV is the only light source in the room.

Go read up on bias lights, at this website. This may affect the colour choice of the wall right behind your set.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

Cheers, Tom.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
We went with a dark purple called "Plumit" You can see pictures by clicking the link in my sifnature. It too fades to black with the lights off.

On thing to consider is that a dark painted room will seem much smaller and will also require more lights to light it. May not be an issue if the only purpose of the room is the theater.

Just to note.. I have seen quite a few light colored theaters on the web that look super.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
My HT room is the same dimensions as yours...

I only painted the 'front' wall dark, dark grey. Side walls a warm bluish grey and left the ceiling white.

I am currently using a CRT for display and some aimed ceiling lights with a $15 dimmer.

It works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks