1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rear ports... AAAARrrrrrrrgg!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Why is it that every bookshelf speaker I want has a rear port so it ruins the ability to properly place them in my house (My rear channels are placed against the side wall facing inwards). Sorry... just frustrated trying to find a perfect speaker for me. I'm trying to avoid DIY... but I'm not sure if I have any other options in my price range! Anyone know of some good bookshelf speakers with an accoustic suspension design (or front ported in the leat). Right now I'm leaning towards Phase Tech Teatro's... using the 6.5's for the surrounds and center... but that's a little more then I wanted to spend ($200/channel for the phase tech). Anyone want to plug their ports on their HTD level III's and tell me how they sound?

2. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

there are not so many front or sealed speakers. i was able to listen to some of these: NHT superone (sealed), dynaudio42w (sealed) and the sonus faber concertino (front ported).the dynaudio and SF are a bit expensive so i guess that you can take a look at NHT.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I feel your frustration. Audio Advisor has some really great speakers and the first ones I consider were the Sound Dynamics but the port was in the rear. But glad I went with Platinum Audio. They have some Missions I believe and some other great speakers at reasonable prices. The other is what you mentioned Home Theater Direct.

4. Dan A

Dan A Agent

I switched from the Paradigm minimonitors to PSB 3LRs because the speakers are in a bookshelf and the rear port on the MMs seemed to be a problem. I a much happier with the imaging with the PSBs.

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

6. Jonathan Wong

Jonathan W
    I've got a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1. Both Bronze 1 & 2 are front-ported bookshelf speakers.
    JW

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It does appear that all of PSB's speakers in the Image and Stratus lines are front ported.

8. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

9. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

HTD has wall-mounts for their Level II and III line bookshelf speakers that let you mount them to a wall without blocking the port. Have you considered that perhaps?

10. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

11. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

JBLs bookshelves are all front-ported I think.

I use Large Omnimounts to mount my S38s to the ceiling.

Sam