Rear-ported sub too close to the wall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Apr 13, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I have a Klipsch KSW12 sub. It is downward firing, but it has a port in the rear. I keep it just a few inches away from the corner wall, because it gives a nice oomph to the bass. I have read that Klipsch bookshelves and towers should be kept at least six inches away from the back wall because they are rear-ported and placing the port too close to the wall will negatively affect the sound.

Would the same hold true for my sub?

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

If you think the sound is good, but want to try something, try moving it away. If you don't like it then, move it back to where it was.

Keeping it close to the wall might provide stronger bass at the expense of accuracy (not that it's very noticeable in movies anyway)

Speakers have to be kept away because the bass becomes boomy. The same might not be true for your sub.

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks for your advice, Mark!

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yeah, Mark gave you good advice. And also speakers will reflect negatively if they are too close to any wall.

I have a 12" sub of the same layout (JBL PB-12) and I found it is best placed about 4" to 6" from the wall and 2/5 loaded (about 1/3 of the distance from the corner) as opposed to corner loaded. But thats for me in my small 11x12 room, your room size and configuration may require different positioning.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Simple rule of thumb:

Measure the smallest linear measurement of the port (if it's round, use the diameter). Put the sub at least that distance away from the wall. If the sub is in a corner, preferably use twice that distance for a minimum.

Cees