Rear port Surround Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Garrett, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

I've got 5 Ascend CBM-170's without a sub. I see that the Ascend manual suggests at least 6" of space behind the speaker for the rear port. My room is so small that I have to place my rear surrounds right next to the wall. Should I set these speakers as small because they don't get 6"? They are both in corners where they aren't flush with the wall. I'd say they might have as much room as if they were on those wall mount stands. I'd like to keep all of them full range for now because I don't have a sub yet. I'm new to this so I don't know if it's wrong to do it this way.

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Your rear surrounds aren't going to be handling much bass, so yes, you can set them to small. The mains (L & R, and to a lesser extent, center) are what you want to handle the low frequencies for right now, so if you can keep those 6" from the wall, you should get decent bass. Just make sure you set your receiver's SUB channel to off for now so that the bass isn't getting rerouted to a nonexistent channel. It might help to set the L & R to large.