Rear L/R/Center speakers mounted -- pics inside

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Josh~H, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

As of yesterday I finally have my 6.1 setup just about the way I want it. I'll probably be tweaking endlessly, but the main parts -- buying speakers, placing them, mounting them, and hiding the speaker wire -- I've finally taken care of. Thanks to the advice of many people on these forums, I think I've made choices that are pretty reasonable.

Here's a look at my rear center setup. I hooked 2 Atoms up because I thought the 1 Atom had too much localization. At the moment they're wired in series (I'll get a second amp later), but surprisingly this resulted no apparent drop in the SPL. Due to wall limitations, I can only space them a maximum of 2.5 feet apart. In this picture, they're shown a bit closer together, angled about 60 degrees out:

[​IMG]

The shelf was made from $20 worth of parts at the Home Depot. I used two decorative metal brackets and a 9.5"-deep shelf. The speakers are at a slightly-too-high 6' off the ground (3' above ear level), and about 4-5 feet behind the listening position. This provides a moderately diffuse sound. Here's a closer look at the hardware:

[​IMG]

The rear L/R speakers are at the same height as the rear centers, and about 4-5 feet to the sides of the listening position. Here's a look at the rear left surround:

[​IMG]

Notice that the bracket is a slightly different design than the rear center shelf. I had some extra brackets lying around from a previous project, and couldn't resist the opportunity to make the rear L/R shelves for a total of $0 in new material (brackets and scrap shelf wood). [​IMG] Only a keen eye will notice the bracket difference without the benefit of side-by-side photos though.

Running the speaker wire through the ceiling/walls wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be -- but that !#@[email protected]# fish tape was really annoying. Whatever trouble it was, it was absolutely worth it to get an attractive surround setup without wires dangling around in my HT. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

One nitpick: even with Atoms all around, the transition from rear to front stage is not always smooth. Specifically, I had a chance to check out the "TXH Pan" last night -- where that cool sound starts out behind and slowly pans from rear to the front with the THX logo on the screen (know what I'm talking about?). Well, the transition from the rear to the front was rather too abrupt. I suppose this is because I'm lacking an additional side L/R channel. Ah well, maybe next year.

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

You did a great job on your surrounds. What is that the speaker wire is coming through that connects to the wall covering the hole. I need something like that.

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Hi David, thanks for the reply. The item you're asking about is an RCA Feed-Thru Bushing For Coaxial Cable. They come in packs of 2, and I found mine in the electrical department at The Home Depot for $1-$2.

I bought a similar product to cover the hole in my wall behind my AVR where my 4 sets of 14-gauge surround wire are run. That item is the RCA 2" Furniture Hole Cover, and it cost less than $5. Both items are an inexpensive solution to the hole-in-the-drywall problem.

4. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

That's a very attractive yellow you are using for your room.

5. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Glenise. If only I could take credit for it. [​IMG]

The previous owner of my home did all sorts of fashionable decorating, such as the Ralph Lauren Yellow you commented on. Actually, my HT has RL Yellow on the rear wall and hallway, RL Green on the right wall and opposide side of the hallway, and RL Red on the front wall and left wall. I never would have imagined putting those colors together, but somehow it all works. On top of all that, the floor is a funky shade of orange with subtle swirls and streaks -- it's acid-dyed concrete. The combination of all those colors makes it very challenging to introduce new furniture and accessories down there!