Rear in Wall Speaker Recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dermot, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Dermot

Dermot Extra

Hi everyone - this is my first post here!

I am currently building a house and I have the Energy Take 5's in my existing house.

I am planning on putting in wall speakers for the rear l/r speakers.

1. Should I go in wall or mount speakers on the rears (aethetics vs. technical)

2. If in wall I need new speakers. Can you recommend a couple in the $150.00 USD range. I found a good Niles rep online so if in that line I would appreciate it.

3. Should I be prewiring for 7.1 (ie. center rear and sides)?

Thanks,

Dermot

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

It's not completely clear from your post whether the rear speakers you are talking about are the surrounds (2 of the 5.1) or the rears in a 7.1 system. If the former, you should be aware that the rear wall isn't the recommended location; the side wall is.

Also, all in-wall speakers involve compromises. Are you SURE that wall-mounted speakers won't be acceptable?

3. Dermot

Dermot Extra

Thanks Marc. Let me clarify.

The rears would be possibly in wall for a 5.1 system.

I have reservations regarding in wall for the system that is why I thought I would ask.

I may have 7.1 in the future but that is a ways off budget wise until it comes to the consumer level price wise.

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

OK, thanks... I can't really help with a recommendation, but I had a house once with B&W in-walls, and they were great. Expensive though, as in-walls go.