rear dipoles against the back wall, how bad?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dan fritzen, Oct 9, 2003.

1. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I currently have NHT super Ones and super center in front and old crappy bottom line Infinities bookshelf speakers for the rears ( no disrespect to Inifinity lovers). Anyway I am moving into a townhouse for a few years at least with a back wall right behind the couch. A co worker has the old dipole NHT rears, not he HDP-1, they are smaller but i do not see them listed on the website. Any way, it the one dipole tweeter is against the wall how bad will it sound, worse than a regular unmatched rear speakers?

I would like to get these dipole speakers and use them when my fiancee and myself get a single family home with more room.

2. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

I have my rear speakers (Polk FXI30s) mounted on the rear wall , with the couch backed up to it. I put them about 2 feet above our head position. There really wasn't a good place to mount them on the sides.

Fortunately for me, the speakers are dipole/bipole switchable. I've tried both settings and with them as they are, the bipole setting is much better.

The goal of the dipole speaker is to have the tweeters out of phase and create a null area where the listener is seated. To really achieve this null area the dipole speakers need to be in-line with each other.

I'd recommend looking at a speaker that is bipole/dipoloe switchable so that you can future proof yourself for various applications.

In our setup, with the couch and rear wall so close together, the bipole works better than the previous monopolo speakers did. It really helps diffuse the sound and create a rear wall of sound that the monopoles didn't too effectively do.

3. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

dipole/bipole

okay this explain the difference, so with a backwall I definitely want bipole speakers or switchable speakers. I never knew the difference and that you can actually put them against a rear wall, cool.

thanks for the help!