Rear channel speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Peter.P, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Peter.P

Peter.P Auditioning

My home was wired for surround sound in one room, and I'm finally setting it up! I installed the L & R front speakers a few years ago (Niles HD650), which have a 6-ohm nominal independence. Last week I purchased a Yamaha HTR-5890 surround receiver, NHT M-5 center channel speaker (6-ohms), and a JBL E150P subwoofer. My front L & R speakers are in the wall, same height as my built-in tv-cabinet (about 6 feet off the ground). The sub is to the right of the couch (main listening area), near the corner of the room. The center channel has it's own compartment in my custom-built TV-cabinet and is a foot or so above the TV. Lastly, the rear-channel L & R speakers are wired to be on the ceiling directly above the couch.

So, I'm not too clear on independence and if I can mix different speakers with different ohm ratings. I'm having trouble finding a good selection of rear surround ceiling speakers that are rated at 6-ohms. Should I purchase 6-ohm speakers or could I use 8-ohms? Can anyone recommend some nice in-ceiling speakers for my rear channels that would sound nice (and work well with) with my setup? My budget for these rear channel speakers is about $350 for the pair.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Peter.P

Peter.P Auditioning

Alright, well, maybe my question is too confusing. I'll make it a little simpler:

My Center channel and front L&R speakers are 6-ohm. Do I have to buy 6-ohm surround speakers? I will be running 5.1 surround sound on a Yahama HTR-5890. I've heard that ohms don't matter too much because the levels will be automatically corrected with the YPAO system on this yamaha receiver... is this true?

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

4. Peter.P

Peter.P Auditioning

So, using 8-ohm rear surrounds is ok even though the rest of my speakers are 6-ohm (and the receiver will be set to 6-ohm)?

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Well, I guess I didn't realize you could set your speaker ohm on that stereo. I would still think it would be ok though. I wouldn't want to do that on the main's though. My Marantz can handle it, Ive actually got 8 ohm speakers for fronts and center, and 6 ohm speakers for surrounds. I don't have a switch or setting for that on the receiver.

6. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

The 5890 can handle 6ohms fine. Dont change the setting to 6ohms, keep it at 8ohms. With the souround speakers on the ceiling you are not getting the best possible sound. If you want to go with whats built in, go for it. If it were me, I would go with them mounted to side of the couch and just behind the listening position.

7. John S

John S Producer

An interesting approach to 6.1 is to duplicate your center, or as close as possible for the rear center. Might be an option for you to persue.

8. Peter.P

Peter.P Auditioning

Rob, since the majority of my speakers are 6-ohm (center channel, front left & right), shouldn't I set my receiver to 6-ohm? The only two speakers that will probably be 6-ohm are the surrounds (i'm only running 5.1). Do most people buy speakers with the same independence? Also, if I set my receiver to 8-ohm, does that mean the 6-ohm speakers will be louder?

9. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Peter.P, 6 or 8 ohm impeadance speakers can be mixed and matched on the 5890 without issue. Keep it set to 8 ohms though.

10. John S

John S Producer

I agree, leave it at 8 ohm as well....

No reason to monkey around with the native output stage of the power amps, which is what any such switch must do.

11. Peter.P

Peter.P Auditioning

Thanks Ron & John. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the NHT iC4 (or possibly the Infinity ERS 310) in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks.