Rear Channel Speaker Recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimX, Feb 28, 2003.

1. JimX

JimX Auditioning

Looking to replace my crapping rear channel speakers. This is a home theater only setup-- soundtracks only, no music listening. I do not have side channel speakers and the placement of the rears is less than optimal. The rears will go in a cabinet on the back wall on a shelf approx. 48" high and about 8ft. from the listening area. The speakers must be on the smaller side (no more than 11" tall) to fit. A number of people have said that dipoles are not the way to go in this configuration and to stick with simple direct radiating speakers. Ignore timbre, sensitivity/efficiency and other speaker matching issues.

Was thinking of Paradigm Atoms. Any feedback on these or other suggestions would be warmly appreciated.

Regards.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Atoms are good speakers. I am using a pair of Acoustic Energy 300c's for rears. Also very small, but very nice speakers. For that high up, I'd agree, go with direct radiators. You will already get "diffuse" enough sound because of the height. Oh, one thing to make sure of, make sure whatever speakers you get, if there is a port, make sure it's on the front, not on the back. Because they are going into a cabinet, a front port will be better for freq response. (The AE's port is on the front. One reason why I got them. [​IMG] )