Rear channel sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MitchellG, Jan 7, 2002.

1. MitchellG

MitchellG Auditioning

I have a Onkyo TX SV 373 reciever, Sony SLV N50 VCR hooked up to a Sony Wega TV. Paradyme Titans with subwoofer, Bose center channel speaker with 2 no name speakers in the back round out the system. When I hit test on the reciever it sends white noise to all channels so I am fairly sure everything is hooked up correctly. However. while a movie is playing on the VCR I get no sound from either of the rear speakers. I've tried various settings on the reciever but have yet to get the rear channels to work. The sound up front works, just nothing from the back. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Your VCR is a stereo set-up. This means all you'll get is left and right signals. However, if you have Dolby Pro-Logic available on your receiver, it can produce surround channel information from the stereo signal. Make sure the Pro-Logic function is activated.

Hope this helps!

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mitchell:

The other thing to look at is whether or not the tape that you are listening to is recorded in surround and that the VCR that you have is a Hi-Fi model. That is the only way you are going to getting the information to your rear speakers.

Parker