Rear center. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Aug 9, 2002.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

I can get a surround package of 2 RS-3II's and an RC-3II as a rear center for 600, or I can just get the RS-3II's for 360 and forget about the rear center. most people have said the rear center is not very important. Whats your take on this?

- Jason

2. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Just watched LOTR in EX. The rear center is impressive. Well worth the investment.

Tom

3. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

WHAT LOTR ???????????????? [​IMG]

4. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I don't think a rear center is necessary unless you have a large room.

5. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Jason use the search feature to answer your question. There has been a lot of discussion (threads/posts) on this exact topic.

In my set-up w/ Lexicon MC-1 and using dipoles for rear center and sides, I have created a terrifc rear soundstage that almost every soundtrack benefits from. It has become as important as having just a pair of surround speakers.

Ron

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I have a somewhat narrow room and am using 2 center surrounds. Yes, it(they) make a large difference in narrow or large rooms mainly creating a seamless surround.
    Remember the surrounds should be placed to the sides of the room behind the listener not directly behind the listener so the center surround fills in this large open area behind the listener.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I have a small room and definately like the addition of a rear center speaker... makes for much better panning of the surround's.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I recently added two rear center speakers to my setup. If you need something to convince you how good surround sound can be, demo Lord Of the Rings on a 7.1 system. We watched this disc for the first time last night. Wow! The rear soundstage was full and seemless, and sounded incredible.

10. Hanwook_K

Hanwook_K Stunt Coordinator

Its like saying that the front center is only need in big rooms ... think about the improvement the front center made from four speaker dolby surround.

Just remember that a single rear does confuse the brain from locating the sound from the rear (the brain often hears it as coming from the front); thus a 7.1 setup is better than a 6.1 setup.

11. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

If there is any doubt that it is a big improvement, try watching the scene in LOTR where the firworks come right at you and over your head with and without the rear center on.

12. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

LOTR was great with rear center. Many other movies as well.
    I can't wait to go to 7.1[​IMG]

13. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Doesn't it depend on your receiver and room size? I remember user my old center Channel for the rear I couldn't see a huge improvment. Also my outlaw recevier has 6.1 only for Dolby 5.1 My DTS will not work in 6.1