rear center speaker??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daman, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to upgrade my 5.1 set of speakers to 6.1 setup as my reciever is 6.1 capable.. Now my speakers are satellites(polk rm6700 series) and i was wondering whether i should put a bigger center speaker like the one used in front for the rear center speaker or will a normal satellite speaker from the same series do? There is a decent price difference between the two so if you guys can help me out in this decision i'd be really grateful [​IMG] thanks a ton
    Daman

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I recommend that you use another set of identical satellites. Then you will have identical speakers anchoring the Fronts, Sides and Rear Center Channel Surrounds w/timbre-matched Center! Should sound glorious!

I did that with my JBL S-Series setup and my brother's friend that works @ Dolby Labs (SF Bay Area) told me that, ... my setup w/SVS sounds as good as their JBL Mixing/Demo Studio!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phil

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Fantastic.. that cleared my indecision [​IMG] thanks a lot Phil, will go in for the satellite at the rear then. Your system sure does look amazing and im sure it sounds that great too!!Thanks again!
    Cheers!!
    Daman

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Your welcome Daman!

It's no mystery why IDENTICAL timbre-(voice)-matched speakers all-around would enhanced the 100% seamless surround Blockbuster DVD Movie experience, ... it's based on Dolby Labs (the creator of 5.1 HT) 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines:

Please update this thread once you've had time evaluating your setup after you installed your Rear Center Channel.

Have fun,
    Phil

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

sure will update the thread after iv bought the matching rears.. and yes all my speakers are timbre matched since they come from the same lineup,so even if i use a big center channel from the same lineup or the satellite for the rear channel-they would have been timbre matching.Just checked your website and youve got some slick equipment,esp like the spl meter calibration page,i calibrated my system at 60dB,will try it at 75 and see if theres any change [​IMG]
    Daman [​IMG]

6. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Adding to Thread
    I also plan to upgrade my 5.1 to 7.1 with polk rm6700(ordered). I have limited space for the side surrounds, can I mount like this
    x x x

x x

Me
    x x

With the side surrounds about 3 1/2 feet in front of my chair angled toward me and the rear surrounds about 3 feet behind? Dont think my diagram will come out right but you get the point.