Rear Center Speaker placement help..thinking of the ceiling

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shane Martin, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm purchasing new speakers next month and have all but ruled out 7.1 but due to something else that is going on I'm thinking its going to be financially possible for 7.1 to occur.

The rears/sides will be mounted to the rear and sides of the listening position on the walls. They are switchable bipole/dipoles.

If I wanted to go 7.1, the 2 rear centers would have to be mounted on the ceiling facing down and towards the listening position perhaps at an angle. They are behind me by about 3 feet roughly.
    The bookshelves I'm looking at are quite small and compact so I think given the right speaker bracket and ceiling stud I could do this right?

Then again I could mount the dipole/bipoles on the ceiling facing down and then place the bookshelves on the walls but I think the bipole/dipole on the sides setup would be better..

FWIW, I don't have a place on my rear wall to place speakers so a ceiling mount is about it.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I've seen/heard installations with ceiling mounted rear centers used to good effect. Omnimount makes some good ceiling mounts.

I'd go with your original idea of the bi/dipoles on the sides and the direct radiators mounted on the ceiling angled down.

Ideally, you'd want them on the same horizontal plane, but how many setups in pre-existing rooms are ideal, right? Besides, flyovers from front to back will truly be flyovers now.[​IMG]

Good luck,

DJ

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Thanks David!

The rear centers only weigh like 9 lbs so I thought that would work just fine. I may spring for the ones above those but even then 18lbs isn't much.