Rear Center Speaker for 6.1 ADVICE PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Solid, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Joel Solid

Joel Solid Auditioning

I currently have the Onkyo TXDS 656 Reciever but I'm going to be getting the 797 when it comes out later this month. Anyways, I have The Onkyo THX HTS System 2 Speaker System that has Dipoles for rear speakers. My question is what would work best for a rear center speaker for 6.1? A Center Channel speaker? A single book shelf Speaker? And if I decide to go with The 898 what about speakers for 7.1 Rear Direct radiating for Rears and the dipoles on the side? Please give me some advise. I do realize that there really isn't anything out there that is encoded with 7.1 but I want a little bit of future proofing without going for the 989. Thanks in advance.
    Joel

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

There are several factors to consider, including (but not limited to) room width, and how many decent speakers you want or need for the rear.
    My Marantz SR-6200 has terminals for a single rear centre, and that's basically where I draw the line in the ever increasing number of channels and formats that we are faced with each year. I only have five speakers at the moment, but when I do get the sixth it will probably be a matching centre channel as used in the front. The reason:
    - Cost. I save a bit when compared to two bookshelfs from the same manufacturer.
    - Aesthetics. Having an odd number of bookshelfs just doesn't seem right to me. Having a similar setup in the rear as to the front is more appealing.
    - Sonic coverage. I may be wrong here, but I believe the greater width and number of drivers in a centre channel speaker will offer better 'fill' in the rear than a single bookshelf would.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have the Marantz SR7200 and I use a center channel for the rear. It works very well and I am pleased with it. It timbre matches the rear surrounds. I would recommend going with one rear center only(use a center channel speaker), it should work fine for you. Depending on what you are going to spend on the new receiver, i would definetly consider the Marantz SR6200 or 7200. They are awesome for movies and music(IMHO). Good luck with your choice.

4. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I went through the same decision last November. I have the Atlantic Tech. 350 speaker system with dipoles in the rear. Here's what I did...
    I wanted the rear "center" speakers to be placed above the listening position and a match for the AT 350's. Plus, I wanted to " near..future proof" (impossible, I know)the system, so adding two speakers was important. Also, I wanted to shift the current 350 system rears to more of a side speaker creating a larger rear soundstage.
    I chose the At 256 (correct model?) pair of bookshelf speakers. They came fairly close to the 350's and are dipoles. IMHO creating a fuller rear soundstage.
    They happended to work great for my system. I found something out in the rear center matrix world...a lot of what is directed towards the rear center is ambient sound, with a specific "rear" effect thrown-in every once an a while. Because I have a monblock amp for each speaker, I'll turn off the other amps and leave the rear centers on...what I hear is what I just described.
    Here's my suggestion for factors to consider
    1) Matching with your other speakers
    2) Future proofing your set up Vs cost
    3) Speaker placement
    4) Direct or dipoles
    Good Luck
    Ron

5. Joel Solid

Joel Solid Auditioning

Thanks I think I'm going to be going with a single rear surround speaker. I know I can't get another Onkyo One simply cause I bought it as a set. I'm thinking either a Polk or Infinity Center Speaker. Any Suggestions? The Reason I'm choosing Onkyo or Marantz and Polk and Infinity over others is simple. I have a hook up on cost for those. [​IMG]
    Joel