What's new

Rear Center Speaker (2 or 1) (bipole or direct) (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I have read from several posts that connecting two speakers to the rear center is prefered over 1 speaker. I recently upgraded several speakers, so I have some extra speakers to try in the rear surround position. My current surrounds are Bipole. I have 2 bipole speakers or 1 direct radiating speaker that are extra and available for my rear center. The two bipoles are smaller than my current surround bipoles, but my direct radiating is of similar driver size. All are from the same manufacturer and line. My Onkyo 600 receiver manual states that I should never connect 2 speakers to one speaker terminal because it may damage the amp. The 600 can take down to a 6 ohm speaker (all speakers involved are 8 ohms). Is is ok to go against Onkyo's recomendation, and connect both speakers. Also, is it really that big of a deal to run 7 speakers instead of 6?
Any ideas would be great.
Greg

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Greg,

You can connect the two speakers in series, rather than in parallel. This doubles the speaker impedance to a nominal 16 ohms, and should be safe for your amplifier.

I'd suggest trying out both single and double speaker configurations. It may or may not make a perceptible difference for you.

Regards,
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks