Rear Center Location

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Lovely, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

How important is it to place the rear center surround speaker at the same height/level as the left/right rear surrounds?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Within a foot or 2 would be ideal, but that could change the farther away it gets (My opinion).

I couldn't do it right now since my back is against the wall.

What's your situation?

3. BrentMann

BrentMann Auditioning

My surrounds are 1 foot behind (on the wall) and 6 feet off the floor. 1 rear-enter is in a hand-crafted box on the ceiling, about 3 feet behind the surrounds. i noticed a world of difference by simply angling the speaker down. night and day difference.

I don't know if this info helps, and you'll have to experiment (of course) but it worked for me.

4. Jason Lovely

All my surrounds will have to be on the wall behind the couch. The Left/Right surrounds will be in the corners, but since I have a vaulted ceiling, I could either put the center higher or at the same level. I guess it just wouldn't look as good if it was at the same level, and I wanted to know if this would be a problem.

5. Scott Houchin

Are you saying that there's no value of a rear-center speaker for situations where the viewing position is right against the back wall?

I'm in a similar situation, and my dealer indicated that it would still be valuable in 6.1 channel material.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Scott -

Who, me?

In my case, if I wanted to install a rear ctr it would either be a headrest or it would have to go somewhere between the top of my head and the ceiling. Not ideal.

Besides, I find that a phantom rear is enough for my tastes. I just think that the same guidelines for front placement should be kept in mind when placing the rear - on a level plane with the others is (I guess) ideal, and if that's not possible, compromise and decide if it's better or worse, tweak tweak tweak.

And I've never heard a dealer say "You have enough equipment, don't worry about it."

What would you do? (If your sweet spot was back to the wall?)

Jason - Are you against the wall?

This has nothing to do with your post, but we should clarify...

Brent has room...that's a good thing.

- CM

7. Scott Houchin

Yes Colin, I was actually refering to your statement, but I couldn't

find the button to automatically quote you, and when I wrote my post the other two replies weren't there.

I was planning on adding the rear center to my new system (while I can still get the good sale price from my local dealer), but I think I'm going to hold off for now. My wife was willing to let me get it, as long as I cut the hole in the wall at exactly the right place the first time.

However, I think I'm going to try out the phantom center for a while first, as I'm starting to doubt exactly how much I'd value I'd hear in a rear center. My situation is that the couch is along a 20' wall, about 10' away from the front of my TV. There is no left wall and the right wall is filled with windows and the fireplace, so my only option for the rear speakers was to put them on the back wall about 7' up and about 12' apart. If I put in a rear center, it would be directly above my head. I have Klipsch SS-1's for surrounds, and I think my wife would not be happy if I tried to mount them on brackets to point them any way but out.

Hopefully we'll be moving in a few years, so I'm going to make sure my entertainment room is designed perfectly for home theater.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

8. Doug _T

Doug _T Auditioning

I am currently using two rear dipole surrounds as recommended by HT magazine in their shootout about a year ago. However, I am going to try two rear direct-radiating speakers soon, because I find that with the dipoles, if I sit in the left rear seat, I can only hear the right rear dipole, and if I sit in the right rear seat, I can only hear the left rear dipole. (I also have dipoles for my left and right side surrounds, and they are fine).

Does anyone else notice the same situation if using rear dipoles?

9. Jason Lovely

My couch is in the center of the room...5 feet away way from the TV, and 5 feet away from the back wall.

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Sorry if I came off a bit strong - threads always seem that way.
    Rear surrounds can be tricky - I have seen several pics of installs that look like they'd be hard to live with, even without the WAF.
    Enjoy[​IMG]