Rear Center Channel

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MartyF, Sep 1, 2003.

1. MartyF

MartyF Auditioning

Hello everyone, I have two quick questions. First, in a 6.1 setup, what is the rear center channel speaker used for. On a 6.1 dvd, is it for more dialogue or is just a third rear surround speaker. Should I purchase another center channel speaker for this position or should I get a third surround speaker? Second, I work at best buy and get a great discount on speakers. I have it narrowed down to either JBL or Klipsch. Right now, I'm leaning toward Klipsch. I know Best Buy is a horrible place to audition speakers, so I was wondering if anyone had any input on these. I will use them primarily for movies (80-90%). JBL seemed to be a little more boomy to me. Would this be better for movies? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Marty,

Welcome to the forum.

The middle rear speaker is indeed another rear speaker mainly. The channel has no special use as sort of dialogue channel, as has the front channel.

I would suggest another rear speaker. That will make the blend better, and of most sources the rear center sound is derived from the two other rear channels anyway.

About those JBL's and Klipsch's: I have no personal experience with any of them, but perhaps someone who has will chime in.
    If the JBL's sound a bit boomy to you, I'm inclined to say: choose the other brand, because it has to fit the sound of your current surrounds (I assume you're going to use it for the afore mentioned center rear channel) and apparently you already hear a difference with the JBL.

Best would be if you're entitled to try both at home, of course!

Good luck!

Cees

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome Marty. Speaker preference is largely a matter of choice. Try to find a better place to audition the speakers (or see if you can take them home and try them in your own place—return the ones you don’t want). Most people find Klipsch speakers to be bright, certainly the distinctive quality of the horn drivers is a characteristic that is loved by some and not by others.

Go with the sound you prefer—but listen closely and to different types of music and movies—and at different sound levels. Try turning the sound up to levels that are quite loud and down so that you can listen to very soft passages. This will give you a good base from which to make a choice.

And above all, have fun.

4. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

One of the problems with a center rear is that few manu/retailers will let you purchase just one speaker (I think B&W does). If you are going with a matched set, a duplicate center channel for the rear would work.

IMO - I would not spend a lot of money on the rear center. I have mine set up with a displaced Polk center working between Paradigms. The receiver is set up only to use when the flag is present. I don't think it adds that much sonically.

5. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

Don't take this personally, but I hope you don't work in the AV section of the store... not knowing what 6.1 is and all. It says something about Best Buy management if you do.

Anyway, as the others have said the back surrounds, a back (in a 6.1) or a back left and back right (in a 7.1) system are just more surround speakers. If you get the same type you used for your current side surround speakers, that would be ideal.

Center channel speaker is not what you want. Good center channel units are shielded to prevent interfering with a tube display - you don't need that extra shielding on the back.

In fact, if you cannot find a single speaker to match your current surrounds, consider buying two - then you have the speakers for an eventual 7.1 system if you upgrade, or could hook up the 2 back together and adjust your recievers settings appropriately.

6. MartyF

MartyF Auditioning

Thanks for the input everyone. In response to Tom's comment about Best Buy, I work in the video department. And yes, it does say something about the management. We get absolutely zero technology training, which I'm sure most of you have realized already. Almost 100% of my "training" has come from you guys, which I greatly appreciate. I'd heard several different opinions at BB on what the rear center did, that is why I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks again.

7. JohnBinuchi

JohnBinuchi Auditioning

Marty....
    I applaud you for your persistence in your endeavor. Don't let comments from the pompous few distract you. Obviously, most of us realize the limitations of technical training provided by the larger retailers. It irks me to no end to see such posts by those "in the know"..."All good things come to those that wait"...or persist. There is a massive learning curve to HT, or at least getting it to equal your expectations...Just keep reading the posts here and try to sift through the information...I truly enjoy my klipsch setup for my puter(5.1)...however I was left wanting when comparing different HT sound systems...I am currently looking at several systems...Axiom and Paradigm have my attention at the moment...Polk also offers a decent speaker system, as many have said, the proof is in the listening...
    [​IMG]