1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rear center channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andy_brehm, Oct 17, 2001.

1. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 main reciever which I believe has an out for a rear center channel. If I remember correctly there is no power running to this terminal so I would need a external amplifier to power this speaker. In which case I would like to hook my Yamaha RX-V595 to the RX-V1000 to power this speaker. I was just wondering how many of you have a rear center in your current system? Does it make a big difference, would it be worth the added cost to add this to my system. I currently have a Energy center, XL16's for the rears, DCM dual 12's powered by a 130w amp and rebuilt front towers with a new crossover and all new drivers.

2. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer Elite that has pre-outs for a 6th and 7th channel (the 2 back surrounds) and am currently using an Sony reciever as the amp for the 2 back channels. On movies that aren't EX or DTS ES encoded, I don't hear much of a difference. I surround channels are a little more enveloping but probably not so much that I would hear it if I wasn't listening for it.
    On the other hand, EX and DTS ES material sounds awesome. Since I connected the back surrounds, I've rewatched Gladiator (DTS ES Discrete), Seven (ES Discrete) and Driven (EX) and I had the same "holy shit that's cool" reaction that I had when I upgraded from DPL to 5.1.
    If your reciever can do it, I think it's definatly worth the effort as more EX and ES material is released.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

To me it makes a significant difference in 5.1 material, moreso in DD-EX/DTS-ES material, and believe it or not on Logic 7 material. Logic 7 you may already know is almost the same as DPLII. I have the center speaker going and it really works. It does the same thing in regular DPL applications by channel sounds that would have been directed to both speakers to the rear center channel and continue to send seperate signals and sounds to the rear left or right channel. Definetly worth it and I strongly suggest Star Wars EP1, this really puts you rear center channel to work.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...

4. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

So what all do I need to get this set up. Like I said I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 which is my main reciever, and a RX-V595 as a "backup" which I would use to power the extra speakers. I just have 5.1 DD now--2 front mains, 2 rear surrounds, center channel, and sub. What extra equipment, cables, and speakers would I need for the upgrade. Off the top of my head I dont know how to hook the two up to make it work, but Im sure I could figure it out with the manual.
    Anyway, after the upgrade, what kind of system would this yield? 6.1? 7.1?
    Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance.

5. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Andy,
    I also have the Yammie 1000. I am running the rear center channel through the extra channel on the Sampson 700 that powers my single SVS 16-46. I am running a pair of small bookshelf speakers (8 ohms) off the one channel in parallel (effectively making them 4 ohms like the SVS). All you should need is a cable to run from the rear, center pre-out on the back of the Yamaha to an input on the Yamaha 595 (don't use the phono input since it has a pre-amp). From the 595, hook up either a single speaker, or hook up two speakers and run in mono (or use a splitter at the input).
    I will admit that I was somewhat less than impressed with the 6.1 mode. In material that wasn't encoded for it, it seemed to me to collapse the rear soundstage. I didn't test this extensively, however. You should also know that the 6.1 mode on the Yamaha will do THX-EX and DTS-ES, but not DTS-ES discreet (i.e., the rear channel is always matrixed).
    Hope this helps,
    Jeff

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Your RXV-1000 needs pre-outs to accomplish this. You'll need a good set of audio cables and run it from the pre-outs of your main receiver and in to the CD input of the DPL receiver. Now you'll of course need an extra speaker, if your old DPL allows you to run two speakers from the center channel and the space allows you to run two speakers then go for it. Set the old DPL receiver to Dolby 3 stereo and your set. Only do this for 5.1 material, switch back when you have basic stereo or pro-logic material. If your main receiver has DPLII, you cna use the rear center speaker.
    I say use a good set of patch cords between the two because my experience with just regular cords created a hiss. When I switched to Monster cable for the rear surrounds, the hiss went away.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I am sad.
    I much think that the 2nd rev of 6.1 receivers/pre-pros will be much better than the 1st.
    Why?
    Because in the 1st rev, my impression is that they simply included compatibility for THX EX/DTS-ES at the expense of standard Dolby Digital/DTS material.
    Simply using Dolby Pro Logic on the 2 rears to get the center, like THX EX/DTS-ES decoders will do, works swell on genuine THX EX/DTS-ES (matrix) material.
    The problem? Using straight DPL decoding on "regular" DD/DTS discs can and will cause the rear L + R channels to collapse into the rear center if there is a fair amount of monophonic material present in the two rear channels.
    The solution? A 6.1 mode for std DD/DTS material that simply "averages" the material between the L + R rears into the rear center.
    I am using a homebrew set up (a 5.1 system with a DPL processor added) where I can use DPL *or* a "3 channel stereo" mode for the rears.
    I use DPL for THX EX/DTS-ES discs, and the 3 channel stereo mode for std DD/DTS discs.
    Me myself and I, could never go back to std 5.1 after living life this way for the past several months. The sound field is simply more cohesive and more envelopping around the entire room.
    You can kind of tell which of the manufacturers are that "rushed" their 1st rev of 6.1 receivers to market: they didn't include the amplification for the 1 or 2 rear center channels.

8. derek

derek Second Unit