Rear center channel and surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Trot, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Chris Trot

Chris Trot Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering how important matching the rear surrounds and the rear center channel with the rest of my system is. I have JBL S38's as my fronts and a JBL S-center, but is it important that I stick to JBL or doesn't it really matter too much. Also, if I do have to stick to JBL does the series of the speakers have to match as well, and in addition, is a rear center even that important or worthwhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Chris:
    The general consensus around here is to have your speakers matched.
    A rear center or two rears is needed for 6.1 or 7.1 respectively. I have a 7.1 setup which rocks when playing movies with this format.[​IMG]

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Matching across the front is more important IMO, and not as critical in the back as not as much sound is produced there. Actually about 75% of the sound comes from the CC, so be glad you got the S-center as it does a good job.

My old set-up was JBL G500's with an S-center across the front and 2 no name towers for surrounds with 2 small KLH monitors in the back. Sounded very good for what it was.

If $$$ is tight you could look into the smaller N series for the surrounds/back center. Pick some up at BestBuy to try out and return them if you don't like the sound.

Good luck...Mike