Rear Center and Sub woofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SamCK, Dec 1, 2003.

1. SamCK

SamCK Agent

HT is 17 feet deep (screen at front) and 12 feet wide.
    Below the screen, there is an 16 inch cabinet holding the equipment, and housing the center, right and left speaker (behind black accoustic fabric). The subwoofer is currently in the back corner, but I want to build a riser, and put a couch against the back wall... I don't think there will be enough space for the sub on the riser to fit the couch as well. Can I put the subwoofer in front (behind black fabric) as well, or will it not sound as good in this room size. Rear right and left are ceiling speakers. I have a surround speaker from an old "theater in a box" and was wondering about hooking this up as a "rear center". Is it going to make much difference. Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

On the Sub, if your going from one corner to another, you probably won't notice to much difference. If your going from a corner to placement somewhere along a wall, you will probably notice a big difference in the output being lower.

On the rear, I still think timber matching is important for it to do it's job well.

The choices and options are nearly endless though.

Friday night I went over to a guy that still uses these smallish black metal Optimus (Radio Shack) speakers with a 360 degree tweet on top for surrounds, and man did they work well for an ultra expansive sound field. He said he bought them during the Pro Logic days and liked them so much, his rather expensive surrounds that he got for his new 6.1 / 7.1 system are both used as rears. His system impressed me, and I consider myself not so easily impressed.

So sometimes the unconventional just works best in some systems / environments.

3. SamCK

SamCK Agent

I was wondering about a front corner instead of a rear corner. That would avoid putting it on the rear riser.
    Will this be a bad idea?

4. John S

John S Producer

Well corners make subs drive more, that would be the along the wall solution, and there is nothing wrong with it at all, you just may have to drive the sub harder for the same output.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, the front corner should be the same as the rear (assuming your room is symmetrical) – that should perform better then centering it under the screen.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt