What's new

Really weird problem with BATTERIES?!? (1 Viewer)

Dom H

Agent
I'm a logical thinking kinda guy but this has me scratching my head.

Batteries in my Sony 930 receiver remote were running low so I whipped out the Sony ones that came with the remote and chucked in some new Duracell Plus. Press the source change button, display lights up but no information appears on the screen. The screen stays lit (usually dims after few secs) I can still change the source if i press lots of buttons but the backlight does not go out.

I eventually have to remove the batteries to get the light to go out. Try again works for a while then does the same.

This carries on until I put back some Sony batteries out of my TV remote in, all is well.

Month or so later and NO lockups, the Sony batteries go dead, I decide to give the Duracells another try, works for a few days, then again it freezes!?

Does anyone have any ideas why this is doing this??

Thanks

Dom.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Is there something physically unconventional about the Sony batteries? The reason I'm asking is because I have a portable Panasonic CD player that will do in-player battery recharging only for Panasonic rechargeable batteries and not other rechargeable batteries. Why? Because the Panasonic batteries have a band of metal on them in an odd spot that touches a sensing wire in the CD player's battery holder. So, I carefully put some foil on the normal rechargeable battery (after ensuring I was using the same type of battery chemistry) and in-player recharging could happen with those.

Another thing to try is to use different battery chemistries. Instead of normal Alkaline 1.5V batteries, try "Heavy Duty" batteries, or rechargeable batteries.

-JNS

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I have read that you should replace the old batteries with the same kind to observe polarity.

But where are supposed to get sony batteries?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I remember the rechargeable AA batteries that came with my Sony DiscMan were less than 1.5v, they were rated at like 1.25v or something... But it didnt affect how it played... normal Alkaline AAs lasted like 3 times longer than thje rechargeables though..

Could be same case here, could there be a voltage diffrence in the sony batteries?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Jonathon Tillman,

I have read that you should replace the old batteries with the same kind to observe polarity.
Polarity is just the way you put the batteries in. As in, "don't put the batteries in upside-down or it won't work". That's all that means. It has nothing to do with using the "same kind".

-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks