*REALLY* stupid connection question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Drew_W, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Drew,
    If I'm not mistaken these are the thin pointy connectors designed for alligator type clip/clamp down tension connectors found on very low end receivers. In term of how you attach them to your speaker cable---- you crimp/clamp them via force.... "crunch". If you have alligator clip terminations on your receiver you could use them, I guess.

Otherwise, bring them back for a refund. They are junk. Better with bare wire. Even if you have alligator connectors (no offense) go with bare wire. Maximum surface contact. These pointy connectors are crimp to the wire junk with virtually no surface contact at the most important point--- your receiver termination. Whoever developed these should be flogged, then fired, IMO ;*^)

BOK

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

could I drop solder into the end of it to make the connecion?

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Drew,

why bother ..... get bananas if your receiver accepts them, or go bare wire. A little Pro Gold on the bare wire ( wipe ALL excess fluid away), and clip/snip them back every six months and you are set. If so, factor in some extra length for bare wire connections for periodic trim/cut back.

I had some of those pointy things from Monster years ago and they are dust collectors now. Hell, send yours back and I'll send you my six year old ones for free if you pay postage. That is my assessment of their worth.

BOK

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that pack looks like it was designed for a complete surround setup. you can tell by all the different colored insulation doo-hickeys.

personally, i do find them useful. i actually use banana clips, but the concept is the same. those clips help keep the end of your wires from fraying, possibly causing a short. if nothing else, they're certainly more convenient - especially if you do a lot of reconnecting.

i've done some personal testing and i've never heard a difference between bare wire and some sort of connection. of course, ymmv.

i'm not sure if you can solder those though. i think they're more like the crimp style. also, how thick is your speaker wire? if it's too thick, those crimps may not work.

finally, if possible, do some testing with and without the clips. see if you hear a diff or not.