1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Really strange 60cycle hum coming from surround system...HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trenton McNeil, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

When I switch the receiver to Dolby Pro-Logic mode, I get a 60cycle hum from all 5 speakers....when I switch to Stereo or Direct (stereo) modes, the hum goes completely away....

I am baffled! anyone know how I might track this down? It appeared after our cable install today, so at first I suspected a ground loop in the cable system itself....but I can't figure out why it would only affect the sound in pro-logic mode, and not stereo.

EEK!

2. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Ah, the famous cable hum...I just had an experience with it yesterday. Here's my post and solution to my problem:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=131516

However, I do not know why your system hums only when you're in DPL mode. If you do a search on here you'll several different solutions, including having the cable company come out and make a better ground.

3. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

I fooled myself...it does actually come through all the speakers, they are just so far away from the center speaker where i was standing that I couldn't hear the hum. When i put my ear in front of the side speakers I heard it. So it sounds like a standard cable grounding issue....