What's new

Really strange 60cycle hum coming from surround system...HELP! (1 Viewer)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
When I switch the receiver to Dolby Pro-Logic mode, I get a 60cycle hum from all 5 speakers....when I switch to Stereo or Direct (stereo) modes, the hum goes completely away....

I am baffled! anyone know how I might track this down? It appeared after our cable install today, so at first I suspected a ground loop in the cable system itself....but I can't figure out why it would only affect the sound in pro-logic mode, and not stereo.

EEK!

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, the famous cable hum...I just had an experience with it yesterday. Here's my post and solution to my problem:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=131516

However, I do not know why your system hums only when you're in DPL mode. If you do a search on here you'll several different solutions, including having the cable company come out and make a better ground.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I fooled myself...it does actually come through all the speakers, they are just so far away from the center speaker where i was standing that I couldn't hear the hum. When i put my ear in front of the side speakers I heard it. So it sounds like a standard cable grounding issue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jebsib
Recent bookmarks