Really picky thread... Video vs. DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_H, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    Yes...I realize there are better issues to debate...but this one is a minor pet-peave. Why is it that certain studios advertise their product as being available "on video and dvd!"? HELLO! DVD is video! Are they hesitant to use the term VHS for fear those customers are so stupid they wouldn't know to what they refer?

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I just think that "video" as used in those commericals has become shorthand for "video tape". According to my handy Webster's:
    "Video: 1. Television, aslo the visual portion of the television; 2. Videotape as...a recording of a motion picture or television program for playing through a television set..."

3. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Well I know that not all movies come out on the same date on tape and DVD. Back when I worked at Suncoast, DVDs were sometimes avaliable 6 months before the VHS was. Sometimes a DVD was released with no VHS date set. So I would imagine the distrubuters want to let people know that in fact there is a VHS version avaliable...........that or they don't REALLY want to confuse the people waiting for the BETA version. :)

4. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

well saying that its available on "Video Tape and Digital Versatile/Video Disc" just doesnt have the same ring to it.

-Damien

5. Phil Jones

Phil Jones Auditioning

Funny,
    I was wondering this myself a few days back. I always laugh when the commercials say "on Video and DVD", as if DVD was a non-video medium... [​IMG]

6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    It's long been a pet peeve of mine.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Many years ago I had a long argument with the manager of a store that was having a 20% off sale on all movies and music that a laser disc did, in fact, contain a movie. The sale, he said, applied only to video tape but all signs in the store plus the newspaper advertisement said simply "all movies and music". He claimed laser discs weren't "video". After nearly a half hour arguement, I was given my discount but it was just to get rid of me - I knew he was unconvinced. I asked if "all music" applied to both cds and cassettes, to which he responded yes, even though the sale did not indicate any particular format.

I should have written or called upper management and given my point of view, but I didn't.