What's new

Really need to know now! Should I buy the Panasonic RP56 or the Pioneer 444? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_F

Agent
I can get both for the exact same price. The feature lists seem identical. The 444 has a very high rating for playing back DVDR/RW and VCD/SVCDs on vcdhelp.com while the RP56 is only "ok". Reviews of both players are good. Which has the better quality or are they equal? Which should I buy as I NEED to buy it now in order to get it for Christmas. If they are equal in quality I'll get the 444 as I like its playback features.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i like the RP56. got one for my dad and the picture is excellent on our normal (not HD) TV. many argue that it has the best picture quality of any sub-$1000 player. it also has very fast menu accessing and no chroma bug.

Patrick_F

Agent
Thanks for replying. Would you know if its greatly or just marginally better in video quality when compared to the 444? How about audio quality? Any problems when playing burned VCD/SVCDs and burned DVDR/Rws?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

the pioneer 444 is similar to the 434 in that it's not "true" progressive scan. It's a simple line double (no 3:2 pulldown detection). If you are currently or plan to move to a HD set soon and will be going progressive, then the Panny RP-56 is the clear winner.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

If you are succeptible to noticing the chroma bug, then the RP56 may be a better choice for you. As for picture quality, my brother-in-law has this player and the picture quality from it is quite impressive.

Patrick_F

Agent
Thanks for telling me about the progressive quality weakness of the 444. I'll be ordering the RP56 now. Thanks a lot for helping me!

Jin E

Second Unit
Have you considered the Toshiba SD 3750? I'm sure if yo do a search you can find lots of good info about it.

Patrick_F

Agent
I did consider the Toshibas but they had poor VCD/SVCD playback according to the list on vcdhelp.com

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
I have both and there is simply no question. The RP-56 gives an utterly superior image. In fact, the 444's image is only acceptable in interlaced mode.

On the other hand, the 444 excels in ergonomics and has (IMHO) a much better sound (when using trusurround with analog output).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks