1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Really n00b question about hooking up a VCR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Darryn B, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Darryn B

Darryn B Auditioning

Ok, so I bought a new VCR today, and the stupid thing isn't working properly (or maybe I'm the stupid one).

So I put the coax cable into the IN on the vcr, and connected the VCR to the TV's VHF. I've connected the RCA's properly between the VCR and the TV. I've double and triple checked every connection and checked the manuals for both the TV and the VCR and everything is as it should be. But when I turn the VCR on the picture on the TV (I haven't swtiched it to Video yet) goes all fuzzy and basically turns to snow. That's fine because I can still watch TV through the VCR, but I can't watch one channel and record another at the same time.

Any ideas? And if anything doesn't make sense, let me know, because I'm not sure if I understand myself or if I've explained everything with the correct terms.

Thanks for the help.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If you have basic analog Cable TV feeding the VCR, and then have the VCR's coax video output connected to the TV's coax input, then when you are recording a show on the VCR: tune your TV to the output channel of the VCR, either channel 3 or 4. Once you have the recording started, you'll need to toggle (via the remote control) the VCR's "TV/VCR" mode switched to "TV" (if you were seeing the VCR feed on channel 3 or 4, then you were in "VCR" mode), and then manually tune in the cable channel on the TV's tuner to watch another channel while recording the channel being tuned by the VCR.

Wheny you want to go check out the VCR recording (or use the VCR for tuning), you need to tune the TV channel back to channel 3 or 4, and then toggle the VCR into the "VCR" mode from the remote control.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

4. Darryn B

Darryn B Auditioning

Thanks for the help Doug and Patrick, got it sorted out now. I guess I am the stupid one :b lol.

Nice setup you have by the way Doug, those Odyssey's are amazing!