Really lame Subwoofer cable question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EricDeB, Nov 19, 2005.

1. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Hey so I got my subwoofer and I don't have a subwoofer cable yet. I would like to be able to figure out where in my room I should put it and buy a cable about that length. Should I buy a longer cable now and if I want to place my subwoofer next to my receiver just have a whole bunch of extra cable curled up? What do you guys recommend I do, because I have to buy a cable to test where I want it, and once I do that it may be too long?

Thanks a ton for help on this really lame question
    Eric

2. erik foss

erik foss Auditioning

Eric;

I suggest using a cheaper cable to start with, don't worry about cable length for now, just try your sub in different locations until you are satisfied with the results. After you feel that you have a good permanent place for you sub, measure the distance and invest in a quality connector, (blue jean, monster, or ++better++
    , this will only improve upon the sound from your chosen location!! invest in good connects!!! but not un til you know the proper length....

GOOD SOUND,

eriK

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

If you're asking if there is anything wrong with using a longer cable than you need, THERE'S NOT. [​IMG]

4. erik foss

erik foss Auditioning

so, shorter is not better[​IMG] ?

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I think you're picking the wrong debate. Personally, I'd say there's going to be little difference between a 3 foot cable and a 15 foot cable. However, at longer lengths, resistance can be more of an issue.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Not in the context of what he is asking and what he wants to do.

For the distances we're talking about here, of course there will be no difference in sound quality. But he IS interested in trying his sub in different locations. And he WILL need a longer cable to do this. If, in the end, he ends up placing his sub close, the excess cable will not matter. That was his concern and that's what I was trying to address.

7. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I needed a longer cable for my sub after moving and I bought one from Radioshack that is about 25 feet long. I notice no difference in sound quality over my previous 15 foot Monster cable. I don't want to start a cable debate, but IMO when it comes to subs the most important thing is a solid connection on each end. If you have that it's going to sound fine.

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Proper placement for your sub is going to improve the sound 1000 times more than spending mucho money for a "quality" cable. I'm with Allen, buy the 25 footer from Radio Shack for ~$10 and place the sub where it sounds best.

9. erik foss

erik foss Auditioning

I stand corrected[​IMG]