What's new

Really irritating problem on the Silence of the Lambs and Terminator Sp Eds (1 Viewer)

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Really irritating problem on the Silence of the Lambs and Terminator Sp Eds
Both of these MGM discs have already released in the UK. From what I can tell, Region
1 will be exactly the same discs. In which case, you guys are gonna be fuming....
On both discs, they have removed all text in the film, and replaced it with a subtitle
equivalent that is produced by your dvd player.
For example, in Silence of the Lambs, all of the place names in that rather cool font have
been removed, and instead you get massive block capital subtitles.
This is only a minor irritation compared to what they have done with the Terminator....
The whole introduction to the film, you know, the whole screen of text, is now
reproduced, one line at a time, over the start of the future war sequence...... again,
massive block caps etc.
Has anybody else found this to be a pain in the ass!!!!
I think this is so MGM can release the disc in other, non English speaking areas, and still
use the same pressing.
What do you guys think?
Isn't this amending what the director would have wanted?
Rich

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
MGM is known for this. They ahve done thsi on a dozen other titles so far (originally Spinal Tap was to be released with no subtitles until a HTF member with an advanced review copy pointed out the error)
Thought I'm pretty sure it was stated by Van Ling at somepoint that the region 1 Terminator disc would have the original titles.
I've never actually seen a quote from him- but have seen other mention it.
I'm not at all suprised that MGM did this to Silence of the Lambs.
Again- MGM is known for this. Search MGM and subtitles- you'll probably see it mentioned a dozen time!
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on August 16, 2001 at 09:45 AM]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Bits said that they specifically asked MGM about this issue, and MGM said that the Region 1 Terminator would not have the player generated subtitles.

Joel C

Screenwriter
According to the review of the R1 version at DVDfile, it does NOT substitute player generated sub for the original burned in titles. Thank goodness.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
For region 1, I believe both the Terminator and SOTL have the original burned in subs. DVDFile has a review of SOTL, and they don't mention anything about player generated subs.
By the way, I noticed a local store selling the MGM SOTL, but it was only availible in pan n scan only.
furious.gif

[Edited last by Richard Kim on August 16, 2001 at 09:50 AM]

DannyS

Second Unit
It's only available in anamorphic 1:85.1 here in the UK
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)
[Edited last by DannyS on August 16, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks