Really high contrast on NBC's olympic broadcast?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Feb 13, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Anyone else noticing this? With the white snow and ice making up the majority of the background the contrast level is extremely high. I don't think its my tv because all the other stations are fine. I was watching skiing tonight and I couldn't even see some of the poles the picture was so bad. When they would flip from the main few to other cameras the picture was better, but then they would go back to the main camera and its aweful again. Am I just seeing things?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think what you're seeing is mostly the limitations of NTSC more than anything. I have some concerts that were shot in NTSC and then put on DVD (professionally) and there are some serious issues (example- camera is at the top of the domed stadium, and they start doing some lasers. They look like a saw blade)

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

After paying more attention to this I think it is Time Warner Cables NBC signal. The commercials and other shows also are looking really high in contrast. Its just big white fields that exhibit this. For example, tonight during Leno, Freddy Prince Jr held up a white poster board sign with something written on it. The "bleeding"? of the white covered over the black writing so much I could not see what it said. Oh well.

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I mentioned this on another thread about CBC's Olympic coverage. I don't think it's you, your signal, NBC, or your TV, but all American TV networks. The same event on CBC and NBC look quite a bit different. The snow on NBC is blazingly white, while on CBC it is always a bit more grey.

This isn't just an Olympic thing, I've noticed this for years watching hockey. I've watched hockey games on Fox and ABC and compared to CBC and they look very different in the same way. I can now understand why you guys have trouble following the puck (and why Fox tried out their glowing puck), it pretty much gets lost in a rink of blooming white.