What's new

Really harsh-sounding brand new HTD L3 center.. (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Anyone else with the HTD Level 3 center, is yours really harsh? I mean harsh as in it seems to be breaking up on harsh "S" and "F" type sounds. It almost sounds as if it's blown! This is a brand new speaker connected to a brand new Denon AVR-1802. Audio source is a Pioneer DV-434 DVD player connected via an AR digital optical cable. I've gotten this harshness out of both the Fifth Element (regular, not the superbit) as well as the Fast and the Furious (both DD and DTS modes). I hope that this isn't how this speaker is supposed to sound, because I hate it if it is. I hate hearing an S sound so sharp that it crackles during moments of loud dialogue, for example..

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I am sorry to here that Josh. No I do not have that problem. I would send Brian a mail and get a new one right away. They will make it good. I would be ticked too.:angry: They should also give it to you cheaper.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
thanks, steve. i'm going to give it the weekend to see if i can isolate what it is. what are some ways to test to see if a particular speaker may be blown or otherwise not working correctly?

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Josh,

Exactly what you are hearing is called sibilance.

I have heard of this exact same problem you are experiencing before with the level iii center.

The harshness you are hearing is due to the fact that the new level III center has a much lower crossover frequency than the previous version. With some tweeters (especially tweets with a high resonance frequency), too low of a crossover point will cause distortion and/or sibilance at louder volume levels.

Ask htd if they have any of the older crossovers available or simply send it back. I doubt anything is mechanically wrong with your speaker.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Well, I hope that's not the case. I'm being restrained in my criticism, but so far to me the product is not living up to its billing. I hate to think of biting the bullet and plunking down the difference for a set of Divas, but I can't live with speakers that constantly annoy me.. Again, I'm hoping that it will be a little more acceptable with A) break in, which I've been doing B) time spent tweaking settings on the receiver, which I've been doing or C) replacing the speaker.. i guess we'll see.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Josh,

Some people are much more sensitive to sibilance than others. I, unfortunately, am sensitive to it as well. I have heard that tell tale extra "sssssss" with even some very high end gear...

If it continues to bother you, don't attempt to "get used to it". It could cause listener fatigue. You should fully enjoy your HT experience.

A couple more options that would be in between HTD and the Divas would be Ascend Acoustics and Axiom Audio. Both are priced well below the Divas and offer excellent quality. I can't speak for Axiom but the tweeters used in the Ascends are VERY smooth and detailed, no sibilance. They are also packaged with Hsu Research subwoofers, probably the best self powered subs for the money available -- sorry SVS --. I am going with one of the Ascend packages very soon.

Look for speakers with tweeters that are at least 25mm (1", generally the larger the dome, the lower the resonance frequency) and are a soft dome (less susceptible to sibilance and ringing)

Feel free to send me an email if you need further advice.

Good Luck!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I went back and listened to the Fast and the Furious and do not have that problem. I set up my spare center to and tried it out. What I really do here is some flubs in the mixing. You can play it low and here the same flubs. Right next to the end of the first race when he hits the nous switch is a big one-- just a few seconds after. My ss'es and fff's sound fine to me. I do notice much more bass with this center-- close to, to much. Good luck on your next try. I know how hard it can be finding speakers you can feel content with. I would send it back. You will feel much better and you will find a center that you do like.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Josh;

Could you be a little more specific with the problem? You say that the sound is "harsh," but what does that mean? Does it sound as if the high end is emphasized with little or no bass and mid-range? If so, have you looked to see if the mid-range cones are actually working. The problem you describe sounds very uncharacteristic of these speakers.

I would seriously think that something is wrong with the center speaker. The center channel I have does not sound harsh at all, and it is one of the newer models with the lower crossover point.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Josh,
Dont overlook the source material. There are some movies and some Cds that have sibilance no matter what system youre listening on. One of the worst cases on a CD that I've encountered was on the Remastered Dark Side Of The Moon on track 8 at 1:38 "I'll Ssssee You On The Dark SSSSSSSide of The Moon" I mean ouch. I've heard this on every system I've listened to this disc. I also thought the sound on Behind Enemy Lines was very sibilant. Well hope you get it straightened out. At least if you have to return it its not a set of 100 lbs a piece towers or something.:) Good Luck.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Could you be a little more specific with the problem? You say that the sound is "harsh," but what does that mean? Does it sound as if the high end is emphasized with little or no bass and mid-range? If so, have you looked to see if the mid-range cones are actually working. The problem you describe sounds very uncharacteristic of these speakers.
Harsh meaning very sharp and sibilant, like there's so much treble that it's causing distortion. If you want a specific example from a DVD - Ocean's 11, when Brad Pitt is pretending to be an ATF agent arresting Don Cheadle, and he tells one of the cops to "go find Griggs and tell him I need to see him." Then he shouts "Just FIND him!" On that "just find him" it's very sharp (sibilant) and I can hear crackling/distortion.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Josh,

From what you described, it sounds like the amplifier channel is clipping.

Is it only at high volumes that this unpleasant sound occurs?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Jason what you say is so true. At one time I would blame my sub or speaker, but I am not so fast to put the blame on them now. I know I could buy a whole-lot better but still.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
A footnote - I played around some more and either my ears are getting used to the sibilance or it is going away. I made one change on my receiver - I switched the center channel from Small to Large. It certainly sounds more dynamic set up this way.

I have my 1802 set up this way for both DD and DTS:

Fronts: Large
Center: Large
Surrounds: Small
SW: Yes, Normal

FL: 0db
FR: 0db
CNTR: +2db
SL/SR: 0db
SW: -10db (volume on sub all the way up, x-over set to 80)

This seems to have helped a lot. leaving the center on 0 was causing some dialogue to be stepped on by the fronts. i'm happier with the HTDs now than i was a day ago. the fronts always pleased me and the surrounds (the L3 bookshelves) are definitely their best product.

Users who are viewing this thread