Really getting confused......RP 91K.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Fogerty, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

Really want to get this player, but some of the reviews on Audio Review.com by regular users, aren't so great. It's kinda shooting it down for me. Some of the reviews:
    Weaknesses: some video noise, confusing software, lots of little quirks, crashes on certain movies
    Similar Products Used: Pioneer Elite DV-37, Denon 2800, Sony 330
    Review Summary: As usual, the frenzy of internet "reviews" has blown yet another product out of proportion. I guess these reviews are better than nothing, but there are so many of us (myself included) that crave information on new electronics products, that these things take on a life of their own. I only wish that people that reviewed these things actually had them....
    I cycled through (bought, used and returned) the Pioneer DV-37, and the noisy and bug riddled Denon 2800 and eventually arrived at this unit. I will return this unit too and re-purchase the Pioneer DV-37. There was such a frenzy over this unit, that my expectations were high. The context of my comments are Progressive Video only, to a 16:9 HDTV. Here is my 2 cents:
    This is a nice player, but it has lots of issues like all the rest. The progressive picture is kind of nice, much better than the Denon 2800 but not nearly as nice as the Pioneer DV 37 which has the crispest picture i've seen (feels like HDTV).
    There is some background noise (grain). Some people seem to think this is "film like", but look at the DV37 through a calibrated HD set: No noise, crystal clear!
    The software is cooky, but because lots of people have bought these, there is lots of info about this machine on various web sites about how to set it up. Still though, you need a backround in hirolglyphics to navigate some of the menus, but at least the menus work most of the time (as opposed to the Denon, where you are lucky to get them to come up)
    This player crashed on "outside providence" twice during the movie. It pixelated heavily then hung. Oh well, but the good news is that it did get its marbles together just by removing and replacing the disk. It also gets confused on DVD menus sometimes.
    If you believe all the non user reviews of this player, they drool that it is "bug free" no "dreaded chroma bug" (most wouldn't know a chroma bug if it bit them on the nose), etc. Trust me, it is buggy, just different bugs than the groupies have read about on the AV web sites but have never seen.
    I defnitely like this unit, but as I only have 1 HDTV, I want the DV 37 paired to it. The build quality is chintzy, the Pioneer and Denon (build quality only) are much much nicer, but all I care about is the picture, as I don't play football with DVD players. If I never tried the DV37, I would definitely keep this thing.
    Submitted by: Jeff , Audio Enthusiast from Virginia
    This product's model year is 2000 and Jeff has used it Less than 1 month
    Date Reviewed: 7/24/01 12:17:31 PM
    Strengths: Nice remote, nice picture, great audio, Plays all kinds of formats.
    Weaknesses: CD Tray loads slooow...user manual sucks...MP3 playback is just barely supported.
    Similar Products Used: Sony DVD
    Price Paid: $500
    Review Summary: Well, I hate to be the one to bring down the perfect 5.0 rating, but I gotta be honest...
    This is a very nice player. No question. But it just isn't as great as everybody said it was...at least not for me. The biggest problem is that with all of these rave reviews, the unsuspecting buyer may expect the perfect DVD player. This is a great player, but not perfect. So I give it a less than perfect rating to temper the rave reviews, and to let everybody know that picture quality is subjective and a function of the monitor. "Jaw dropping" to some is merely "nice picture" to others.
    Here is the deal. I have a Tosh 65H80 HDTV, and I am watching the DVD via component input. With such a large, clear picture, anything less than perfection is easily noticed. With the RP91 that means you will still see some jaggies...still see shimmering...and still see pixelation on certain DVDs. Even when on progressive output (and even with sharpness dooown, brightness down, etc). And progressive output, a MAJOR selling point with this $500+ DVD player, is virtually worthless to me. I have determined that this is due to the extremely high quality line doubler in the Tosh. There is ZERO difference between progressive on and off when viewed on my Tosh. I have been to other forums, and have found the reviews to be more similar to mine (great product, but...no diff on progressive, not as great as everybody says, etc) rather than over the top ratings that this board has bestowed the unit.
    Then there is the "left shift" issue. The picture is shifted to the left on the player. There is a workaround, but this does not bode well for the player.
    There are a number of digital noise reduction modes...that do nothing but make the picture worse...just marketing stuff, I'm guessing, though I have heard that it makes a really bad picture (home VCD) better...you just won't want to use it on a decent DVD, IMHO.
    The DVD tray is sloow to open and slooow to load. Not the end of the world, just stating my experience. It also makes a clicking or chirping sound on occasion, much like a hard drive occasionally does.
    The picture controls are very nice, but the manual is not very complete in describing these and other features. The ever so important Progressive scanning feature has exactly one sentance written about it in the manual...
    The remote is nice, as are build quality and audio.
    Net/Net: A great player. But, if you are setting up a big system, and really looking for jaw dropping performance, your expectations may not be met. In hindsight, I see many reviews of this player are on non-hdtv sets...so the interlaced performance may be a true leap over other players. All this said, I have yet to see a better picture than the RP91 provides, though I have only looked at a few DVD players on my Tosh...
    It's a "fair deal" (3 stars, and not worthy of great deal, IMHO) and it is a very good product (4 stars...did not exceed my expectations).
    Value Rating: Overall Rating:
    This is just a sample of what I have read there. Commenets are appreciated. Thanks
    [Edited last by Billy Fogerty on August 17, 2001 at 06:57 PM]

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Billy,
    I think that the proof of the pudding is in the tasting... You need to find a store with an excellent return policy and judge for yourself... In as far as perfect. No I don't think that such a thing exists... you need to see it on your hardware in your house to make that judgement! I do own an Rp 91 and I am satisfied [​IMG]
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

3. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

Billy,
    I totally agree with Miles. DVD player reviews are very subjective - even moreso if they are from audioreview.com site, in my opinion. The most important thing to do is to demo the players you wish to consider with your setup at home - then decide which one you prefer.
    I actually demoed the DV37 and the 2800 when searching, and contrary to what this person is saying, I found the 2800 to definitely have much less noise than the DV37 (in fact, this was the first thing that stood out to me). Then again, his unit probably had major problems as a lot of them have/had.
    In addition, most of the buggy things mentioned about the RP91 have been easily fixed by many other owners of the player. Sounds like this person just doesn't have the patience to take advantage of all the tweaking cabilities of the player. Thus, maybe the RP91 isn't right for him for this reason.
    From a technical standpoint alone for video, however, I would consider the DV37 to be the inferior one of the other 2 he tried. Yet, this person is perfectly happy with the player over the other two. Bottom-line, the only perfect player is the one that you can happily live with.

4. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. It's just that I hear raving about this player, then I here of all it's so called pitfalls. I am hoping it will go well with my calibrated 56H80. Have an S7000 now, which has been great, but want progressive scan to go with this RPTV.

5. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

With all due respect Billy, any resemblance between the writings at audioreview.com and legitimate audio reviews is purely coincidental.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

6. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

LOL Wayne, you can say that again! [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Bill,
    I recently purchased a RP-91 as an upgrade from my previous progressive scann player -- a Toshiba 6200. I am pairing the player with the same television as you -- an ISF-calibrated Toshiba 56H80. From my experience, the Panasonic has a slightly better picture than the 6200 when viewing anamorphic DVD's. The biggest difference, though, is with non-anamorphic widescreen titles. The Panasonic's zoom/scaling feature is vastly superior to the zoom mode on the Toshiba television (with all due respect to the reviewer you quoted who stated otherwise).
    As for difficulty in setting up the player, I found the default settings quite acceptable. I only changed a couple of settings and am very pleased with the results. I have not yet encountered a problem playing any disc, and this player handles a couple of titles that the Toshiba could not (T2:UE and Rocky:SE). BTW, I am not using the DVD-Audio feature, since my receiver does not have 5.1 channel analog inputs.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 6