What's new

Really getting annoyed with car commercials (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Several times over the last few weeks, I've heard a radio ad for Saturn that is basically a populist appeal claiming that car safety has become something only for the rich. The implication is that only high-end cars are safe -- the commercial states that safety is now thought of like "yachts and lobster bisque," something only the rich can afford.

I usually try to ignore most of this drivel...but then the ad goes on to say that the new Saturn Vue has 137 safety features. So even those who can afford a Saturn can feel safe!

I made a mental note to check Saturn's website to see if such a list of features existed, if for no other reason I thought it might be entertaining to see what Saturn considers a "feature." (Four tires? A steering wheel for accident avoidance?) Saturn's website offers an online chat, so I took the opportunity to call them on it. That's when I ran into the corporate firewall, with the following transcription:

Thank you for choosing Saturn. An online consultant will be with you shortly.
Hello, this is Jennifer, your Saturn Online Consultant. How may I help you today?
Jennifer: Hello
Brian: I heard a radio ad about the Saturn Vue's 137 safety features. Can you point to me to list of those?
Jennifer: I can certainly send you a link where you may view this vehicle's safety features online, however, there are not 137 listed on our site. There may be further information on the consumer site that I can send you as well if you would like Brian.
Jennifer: Does this sound like something that you may be interested in?

Brian: This particular commercial has been playing for a few weeks. It starts by saying "Since when did safety become a luxury, like yachts or lobster bisque? We created the new Saturn Vue with 137 safety features, etc." I think you should be able to back that up with a list.
Jennifer: Unfortunately, we do not have this particular information online. Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience.
Brian: If your marketing department could e-mail it to me, that would be appreciated
Jennifer: There is no way for this to be done. We actually do not have access to this department. You may be able to receive further information form your local Saturn retailer. I can certainly locate a list of retailers for you using your zip code if you would like.

I guess I won't be getting my list...

CRyan

Screenwriter
Honestly? It sounds like poor Jennifer making $8 and hour in a call center caught the blunt end to your bad day. And Im really not trying to be an ass.

BUT. I do agree that marketing is out of control. Though, I find more fault with the herbal holistic durg industry and the shit they spew daily on TV and radio commericals. Certainly trumps this Saturn add in my mind. I would imagine that they could come up with that list if called to court on it. Many other products would be DOA in court.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My beef is also with the car ads I have been seeing lately. I know that there are some very good lease deals, my wife has a decent one, 2007 Envoy, she got it for $254 a month. I have seen several lately that show things like Pontiac Grand Prix for $149 a month, and a G6 for $99 a month. So I call and put a feeler out just to see, the salesmen then tells me that special is true if you "only" put 4k down on it. I was thinking, first of all, it seems a bit unrealistic for that type of car to put that much down on, and second, if I had 4k to put down on a car, it wouldn't be for a G6. Thats my current complaint.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How about the "fine print" on the TV ads? I have a pretty big TV (65") and even I can't begin to read this text (way too small, too blurry), especially not in the 4 frames they have it on screen. I can't imagine trying to read it on a "normal" sized TV.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
Lately, the new Toyota Tundra adds have been bugging me. They show these elaborate setups with beams that swing at the truck or giant teeter-totter type things and the print at the bottom claims its an "actual demonstration". I have a VERY hard time believing that those setups are real. Some of them don't even look structurally sound.

Not that I'm naive enough to believe there is truth in advertising but it seems like we've gone really downhill lately.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'd like somebody with a materials science degree check to see if those paddle shifters on the Mitsubishis are truly magnesium or not. :P

I also just saw a commercial for a Mitsubishi SUV with the same magnesium paddles and the same ad for them..

Jay

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
You don't need a materials degree, just scrape some of the paint/coating and put a match to paddle shifters. If it lights up, it's magnesium. ;)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Same thing with that Ford commercial where the F150 emerges from the back of an airplane, tied with a chain. It then proceeds to stop, or help to stop, the plane. (No mention is made of how long it took the plane to stop.)

The recent trend of these truck commercials to claim "actual demonstration" but I've also seen others that say "dramatization." I prefer the ones that are humorous, like the Toyota ad where the truck is swallowed by the Loch Ness Monster.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
1. Since when is Volvo a high-end car? When I think of luxury cars, I tend to think of marque's with terrible safety records that go really, really fast or have carpet made from dead animals.

2. Lobster bisque is disgusting

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The fact that Jennifer couldn't accommodate your request has nothing to do with her competence or her rate of pay. The marketing department produces ads, but they are not a sales department and absolutely will not interact with the customers. The reason for this is that the dealers are independent, and Saturn (corporate) is contractually obligated not to interfere with or displace the function of the dealer, which is to sell cars. So Jennifer can direct you to web-based marketing materials (which undoubtedly have a "Locate the Dealer Nearest You" function), but she can't send you any sales materials herself. I think she handled the call competently and politely.

Still, the company really should have a web page with the safety items listed if they're going to brag about them in a commercial.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My pet peeve car commercial lately is the Honda Accord ad with "Hold on Tight to Your Dreams" playing.

The Accord is a fine 20k-ish midsize sedan with excellent reliability. It's designed and built to offer the most value possible to the most people possible. As such it's hardly what I'd call a "dream" car, just a very competent grocery-getter family sedan.

I don't know anyone who dreams of winning the lotto so they can buy an Accord, it's just not the kind of car that one has lifelong dreams of owning.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I guess that is the issue...I think the list of features touted in a commercial should be readily available from the manufacturer's website without having to go to a dealer (who likely wouldn't have it anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks