Really dumb Toslink question (HT newbie)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert PP, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Robert PP

Robert PP Extra

I have never used nor seen an optical audio connection before, so please bear with me. Laugh if you must.

I have a Panasonic DVD-CP72 and I'm trying to connect it to my brand new Harman Kardon AVR125 using a Toslink-to-Toslink optical cable.

Connecting to the DVD-CP72 optical jack is no problem. The "male" Toslink inserts easily into the "female" jack on the back of the DVD-CP72 player.

On the other hand, the AVR125 receiver's optical jacks have me totally confused. The optical jacks on the back look nothing like the jack on the DVD player, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to connect the "male" Toslink on the other end of the cable to the "mushroom-like protrusion thingy" on the back of the receiver. I've tried inserting the small cylindrical protrusion thing on the end of the Toslink into the hole in the top of the receiver optical jack, but it won't insert easily, and it just doesn't seem right. Should I force it in?

I have got to be totally missing something here. Can anyone please help me out?

2. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

I think the "thingy" just may be the dust cover for when that particular input is not being used. My really old Sony had a small plastic dust cover in the optical input from the factory. I just pulled it straight out and that exposed the actual input.
    Anyone else feel the same?

Roy

3. Robert PP

Robert PP Extra

w_ww.digital-daily.com/documents/3261/spdif-card2.jpg

Follow the link above (my post count is not high enough to post live links yet, so just copy/paste, but remove the underscore) to see the jack I'm talking about (the black upside down square tophat looking thing on the left).

So that thing is just a cover? Just yank it off, then plug in my Toslink?

4. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Yep, that's just a cover. Yank it off and prepare for digital goodness!
    By the way, the only "really dumb question" is the one that goes un-asked.
    Cheers.

DS.

5. Robert PP

Robert PP Extra

Got it, thanks!

Happy New Year!

RP