Really dumb subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DarinB, Jan 16, 2004.

1. DarinB

DarinB Auditioning

I've got a little sub from a computer speaker set - 30W, 4ohm. Wondering if it would be possible to connect it to a home theatre (obvious cabling differences aside) system?

I realize that this is pretty weak, but am curious just the same. Thoughts?

thanx.......................darin

2. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I did this with a sub from a logitech z-640 speaker set. I had to take off the back panel and take off the amp cuz all it had was inputs for all of the surrounds and the center had a 15-pin monitor type connection and I didn't have a spare 15-pin cable around nor did I want to try and find out with two pins were for the subwoofer output. So I took the back panel off cut the wires that kept the panel in and then spliced some wire onto the subwoofer wire.

This worked well because the sub was still sealed within the housing, the back panel was in another compartment.

You can only do it this way if your receiver will power a passive subwoofer.

It works pretty good until I can get some money together to get a decent, real sub.

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

My cousin did it at his house with the HK AVR-225 that I traded him for construction work. He had like a tiny Cambridge Soundworks cheezy subwoofer that he fit perfectly under the couch. It wasn't the best I've heard but it was better than nothing. He had some JBL's that he used as "monitors" when he was up on stage singing set as his center channels and l/r fronts. It sounded pretty damn good. LOL>