What's new

Really dumb newbie question (1 Viewer)

This is an embarrassing question but for those of you with a projector, is that also used as your normal TV display or is it just used to watch movies in HDTV and DVD? Or do you have a regular TV for that?

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own a projector, but due to the cost of replacement bulbs I wouldn't use it for watching Oprah or the Simpson's. But if bulb replacement isn't an issue for your wallet, I guess it's up to the individual... JMO

Ya, the bulb replacement cost was part of the question. These puppys are costly. The other part of the question had to do with location. Since I don't have a "dedicated" HT space in my home, I may have to use the projector as the TV display so I wondered what others do.

SimiA

Second Unit
I've found that, viewing SD material on FP has mixed reviews, especially because of the compression in the signal. I need to scale the size down to no more than 60-65 inches.
The artifacts on a 90-100" screen can be too annoying, but DVD and HD are superb, as are some of the newer games at this size.
You may be able to try a rear projection LCD, DLP, or even a plasma. Their thin profile allows many options where it can be placed.
You only mention that, "you don't have a dedicated HT space", so why the leaning towards a pj, instead of another technology?
Any place you set up your set can be an HT space, and with the newer thin sets, you can constantly change the location of your viewing area.
Vb
VB

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I used both my Panasonic AE100 and AE 300 units for everyday viewing as well. They were on about 4-6 hours a day ... and logged 1900 hr (ae100) after 18 months and and 1100 hours (AE300) after 9 months.

(A friend that bought my AE100 off me now has taken it to 3300 hours and still counting after 8 months)

The life span is rated at 5000 hours on economode so I did not even hesitate to use them this way. The bulb costs $250 to replace ... every 2 to 3 years. Not a consideration at all. Sort of like insurance on a good car ... if you cannot afford the insurance, then you cannot afford to play.

I just got my BenQ 8700 yesterday and it already has 4 hours on it ... toward the 2000 life span. I figure that I will also treat this the same ... and have to pay for the new bulb every 18 to 24 months. ($400)

$200 per year to live life the way I want it is not that hard to swallow.

Regards

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Our pj is also our primary display. However, we don't watch any TV at home...it sees mainly DVD use. Plus, I use it for videogames (everything from 8-bit NES to PS2/GC). We've clocked about 500 hours on it since Febuary. Since the bulb needs to be replaced @ 4000 hours or so, I'm not too worried at this point.

Great perspectives. Thanks. We plan on using it as a normal TV then. Someone asked about why a pj versus a regular TV. Actually, we were ready to pull the trigger on a Sony 42" Plasma (had it in the shopping cart on a web site) but I decided to wait.) We have this huge white wall in our living room with nothing on it. Just for grins, I projected my low end InFocus LP340 on it for DVD. Loved it and got hooked. Today I ordered the Panasonic PT-L500U and will soon be purchasing a permanent wall screen. Loving it! :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks