What's new

REALLY buying discs for supplements (1 Viewer)

RobR

Second Unit
Sometimes we have no choice but get the extras if we want to get the anamorphic version.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Extras have zero impact on my buying decision. I want a high quality OAR film first. Sure, I browse through the extras on occasion. My wife checks them all out on every film we watch together. They're nice, and I certainly enjoy them, but if a good movie comes out with no extras whatsoever, I'll still plunk down my $20. I may come on here and bitch and moan about being ripped off, but unlike P&S, a lack of extras is not a show stopper for me.

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
For me extras are the make/or break decsion *only* on those marginal titles (defined by a movie I enjoyed) that I'm not sure whether I want to spend to own. My favorite films are automatic buys extras or not. However, if there is a marginal buy out there I need something to "sweeten the deal". Usually a commentary track by a director I like will be enough, however load it up with supplemental material and I'll probably buy it.

Greg

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Extras have zero impact on my buying decision. I want a high quality OAR film first.
OK Ryan, let's test your resolve. Suppose "Fellowship of the Ring" is released for 19.95 MSRP bare bones and for 24.95 in a 2-disc SE with lots of documentaries, commentaries, etc. Which one would you buy? :)
Regards,

Colin Chisholm

Auditioning
Back in the LaserDisc days I remember being really, really excited at the quality of a particular transfer or the joy at being able to see a film in it's original aspect ratio. I think that DVD has equalized the playing field and we're seeing more quality transfers than ever.
But the downside is that "special features" have become the primary selling point to get the general public to buy DVD's. And now there is a huge glut of sub-standard supplements out there. Many, many commentary tracks are unplanned "rememberances" by the commentators and don't contribute to your appreciation or understanding of the film itself. A case in point for me is Tim Burton. He's a great director but I don't see how producers feel that any of his commentaries were good enough to keep lining them up.
If I recommend a film on DVD to people outside my closest circle of friends I invariably hear "What sort of special features does it have?" I've become frustrated because poor supplements have become a selling point that make it harder than ever to find the really good stuff.
I know this is a bit of a rant but does anybody else agree? Or am I being too cranky? ;)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
OK Ryan, let's test your resolve. Suppose "Fellowship of the Ring" is released for 19.95 MSRP bare bones and for 24.95 in a 2-disc SE with lots of documentaries, commentaries, etc. Which one would you buy?
For a film like that, the 2 disc SE, of course. For 90% of the discs I buy, though, I'd stick with the cheaper bare bones disc.

Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision. I've yet to see bare bones & SE versions of the same disc side by side and been forced to make a decision. Since I rarely watch the extras I'd be inclined to stay away from the SE, but I do like the idea that the extras are there - that way I can revisit my DVD collection on a boring, rainy afternoon and watch all sorts of great material about my favorite films. On the other hand, I have yet to really do that, so I'd really only be spending the money for the sake of completion, which is a little wasteful.

Jodee

Screenwriter
To me, extras are the deciding factor for movies I'm on the fence about.

There are a few films that I would buy on DVD no matter what. These are my all-time, must-have favorites.

However, there are many other movies that I enjoy but it's not a clear-cut buying decision. However, if the disc is nice & spiffy that will sway me to the buy column. If it's bare-bones, on a 2nd tier movie, I'll just leave it alone.

For instance, I saw "Dick" at the theatres and liked it. When the disc came out, the special features made me buy it. (Which I am glad I did, I have re-watched it and liked it more every time.)

Now another movie I saw at the theatres and also liked was "But I'm a Cheerleader." I liked it, but didn't love it enough to make buying the DVD a given. when the disc was announced bare-bones, that settled it. No purchase. If it had a commentary or some extra stuff, I probably would have said "ooh, I need to buy that."

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have purchased DVD's in the past due to their special features but if the movie was not up to snuff, I always eventually got rid of it. Now I try to be careful what I buy so that I don't have to worry about selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks