Really Blonde Moments happening

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Staffwild, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Staffwild

Staffwild Auditioning

Hi All,
    I have no idea how to hook up our new tv, surround system and dvdr etc.

What I am after is advice on what is the best method. I ideally would like the DVD recorder to record whatever is on the tv screen.

I made up a pdf file that shows the back of all our equipment.
    http://www.ozshowresults.com/scan001001.pdf

Please someone help, advice on cables would be muchly appreciated too!!!
    Thanks
    Karen

2. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

If the Diagram of the DVD/surround is the back of your amp (I'm guessing it's a HTIB.) You don't have enought inputs do hook up all your equipment.

What's the Make and Model of your Surround Amp?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    This is a bit of a challenge, Karen, because (as Steve noted) you really don’t have enough inputs on your DVD/surround sound system. Plus, I can’t figure out what the component labeled “Video” in your picture is. A really old VCR maybe? (Nice picture, by the way [​IMG] )

Plus, the connections are really going to be complicated to operate, because the DVD/Surround Sound unit doesn’t have any video connections for its inputs. That means you’re going to have to send those video signals directly to the TV, and each time you want to watch say, the DVD recorder, you’re going to have to do the audio and video switching separately – not fun, especially for beginners.

But anyway – here’s the best connection scheme I can come up with for you. I suggest ditching the CD player, since you don’t have room to plug it in. You can play CDs on the DVD player. The VCR is a problem too – no room for it. I suggest plugging it directly into the TV’s or DVD recorder’s front jacks when you want to use it.

First the DVD/Surround unit. Connect its red, green, and blue “Component Video Out” jacks to the TV’s “Component 1 Input” jacks. Use a set of cables like these:

[​IMG]

Next the Austar. It has two sets of audio jacks on the back (the red/white ones). Connect the bottom set, and the yellow “Video” jack, to the DVD recorder’s “AV-1 In” jacks. This will allow you to record your TV shows. Use a set of cables like these:

[​IMG]

Next, send the second set of red/white audio jacks on the back of the Austar to DVD/Surround unit’s “TV Audio In” jacks, with some cables like these:

[​IMG]

Then you’ll need to connect the Austar’s S-video plug to the TV’s “AV-1” S-video plug, using a cable like this:

[​IMG]

That will take care of the Austar. Next, the DVD recorder. We’ve already connected it’s “AV 1 In.” Now we’re going to get its outputs to the system. Connect the red/green/blue jacks to the TV’s “Component 2 input” Jacks. Use asecond set of the same cables as in the first picture above.

Next, connect the DVD recorder’s red/white “AV Out” jacks to the DVD/Surround unit’s “VCR Audio In” red/white jacks, using the same kind of cables in the third picture above.

Be sure and check the DVD recorder’s video menu. You might have to select the kind of input you’re using (composite, s-video or component – you want “composite”), and the output (select “Component”).

To watch TV, select “TV Audio” on the DVD/Surround unit, and “AV-1” on the TV.
    To watch DVD, select “DVD” on the DVD/Surround unit, and “Component 1” on the TV.
    To watch the DVD recorder, select “VCR Audio” on the DVD/Surround unit, and “Component 2” on the TV.
    Anytime you’re watching TV, you will be able to record the show you’re seeing to the DVD recorder. Make sure it’s set for “AV-1 In.”

That should take care of the main stuff. As mentioned, you’ll have to plug the VCR into the TV or DVD recorder directly. Same with the X-box. If something doesn’t work for some reason, post back here.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Staffwild

Staffwild Auditioning

Hi Guys,
    Thank you immensely, I will have to get the cables mentioned as we only have the yellow, white and red ones here.

The equipment is
    LG Rear Pro TV - Model 52SZ8RT
    LG DVD Recorder - Model DR165
    Panasonic Home Theatre Surround Sound - Model SC-HT878

VCR is an ancient Panasonic one. Knew I should have got a VCR/DVD R Combo lol, if I didn't have a thousand and one videos it wouldn't be a issue.

I will give it all a go, hooking up as you have said, I am really only using the VCR to burn videos to DVD so it isn't really a problem and the other half can stuff around with his X Box [​IMG]

Thank you again, you have been a great help
    Karen