What's new

Reality TV show.. Are you sick of it yet. (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of examples where networks gave shows time to succeed—and they did. But don’t forget that sticking with shows that are not doing well has problems too—for example right now, Fox is staying with Arrested Development, a fresh idea in a world of clones—and one that has had critical raves and garnered some awards as well.

But the ratings truth is that this series has yet to find its audience.

And some series, regardless of critical praise and network steadfastness never did—Homicide, Life on the Street being only one example.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Those who say the shows aren't re-watchable are right in most cases, but you'd be surprised. The first season of The Apprentice plus two seasons of Survivor (with a third on the way in April), not to mention other reality shows have appeared on DVD, and the Apprentice and Survivor sets apparently have very strong sales.

There are fans who would rewatch them (although Survivor, Apprentice, and the Mole are the only ones I would buy on DVD).

John McM

Second Unit

I think Arrested Development has it's audience, it's just probably never likely to be a huge series. I think it does good enough that I hope we get a third season, it's such a good series. But it's not as homogenized as Raymond, so many people won't latch to it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would like to know how many people (who bought these sets) saw them on TV? I would imagine the majority are first time viewers.

Those types of reality shows are like sporting events. After seeing a sporting event, I really couldn't imagine watching it over again in the future, unless it was for "Nostalgia" purposes.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I didn't catch the first Apprentice when it was on TV but I watched every season of Survivor when it was originally shown. And yes, I bought both Survivor sets and The Apprentice and will buy any further ones.

To me, the way the shows are edited definitely makes it worth watching with hindsight. To me it's no different than seeing any other show and knowing what happens but getting the DVD. I can't tell you how many Simpsons episodes I've seen 4000 times and can quote by heart but still make me laugh when I watch the DVD sets. And for those who have seen them before, the Survivor sets contain commentary so fans do have a reason to buy them.

(As an aside, I read about that Kate Stelnick girl too--and I think I might be in love with her also ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks