Reality TV show.. Are you sick of it yet.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nick, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Second Unit

I was never interested in any of these shows. Never watched any of them in the past and never will either. Just read the news today that one of them just got axed after 1 episode. But there's 10 in development.
    When are they gonna give up that we don't want it anymore.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hey, Nick, I know I say this in a lot of threads, but you're not a representative sample. Folks are watching them in large enough numbers to make them very profitable.

Also, outright dismissing an entire format is just silly. There's a broad spectrum of quality, from Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire? to The Amazing Race, just like in any genre, and it would be just as foolhardy to dismiss all unscripted shows as it would be to dismiss all cozy mysteries or sci-fi or police procedurals.

3. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I don't really consider most of the shows out now "reality" tv. They are infact game shows, because the contestants are out to win some big prize. The reality of these shows is that most of what we see is edited to make us think outrageous things are happening.

I watched a special about how much of reality tv is really just scripted or forced and most of the cast members from these shows say that the producers edit it so much and put audio where there isn't any or put a shot in where it looks best.

True reality tv includes shows like Airlines, The real ER, Exploration, The life of Crime, Animal 911, Cops and shows of this nature.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't watch the shows that involve competitions. If I watch any reality it's usually "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" or "How Clean is Your House?"

I live in the "real world" everyday. I don't need to spend my free time watching a bunch of spoiled, backstabbing bitches and bastards on TV too.

But overall, yes, I wish the viewing public would raise their standards just a little, allowing these shows to go away completely.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Not happening and we all know that. Plus Reality TV makes for good watercooler talk.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I can think of an infinite number of more interesting and worthwhile topics of discussion in the office than reality TV.

7. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I have zero interest in watching any non-sports TV that features real people. I think I watched about 30 minutes of Survivor 1 to see what the fuss was about, but other than that, I've never watched them.

People at work talk about these shows constantly, especially The Apprentice, but I've just never had any interest at all in checking them out.

I watch TV to escape real people..If I want real people, I leave my house.

8. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

These reality shows must really have the Hollywood elite stoked,lol . Just think of all the actors and actresses that could be working in some tv series. Time will tell how long this phases will last.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I can too but reality TV seems to really get people a talking!

Plus we it allows many to avoid the inevitable "religion and politics" discussions. Plus Watercooler talk is all about gossip and what was on TV/movies the last night or weekend.

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I'll admit that I do watch some of the reality TV shows, Big Brother being one of my favourites. But some of the ones they are coming out with are downright pathetic (ie, Fox's "Who's Your Daddy?")

11. Nick

Nick Second Unit

Well, I know they said that they are very cheap to produce, No big name actors, may be that's why they keep making them. Even they said it's reality but it seems scripted to me.

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

And some never get that far.

As someone personally responsible for Reality TV (as an audio editor on a number of the shows you all hate)-- I hope it continues so I can keep getting paychecks, lol.

But aside from that, it's all pretty dumb.

-V

13. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

No.

Well, that's not completely true. The only one I truly, absolutely love is Survivor. I never really saw what was so amazing in The Amazing Race. Big Brother is usually dumb (I watch it sometimes but not when it's stupid for the sake of being stupid). American Idol I don't consider reality, but I've been sick of it since about halfway through season 3. I'll watch season 4 though.

The Mole was good before the celebrity versions.

14. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I think part of the attraction for a lot of people watching Reality TV is a mix of part schadenfreude and part voyeurism. I can't help but smile sometimes (okay, and laugh) at what your average idiot will do for X amount of dollars. I will admit to being something of a Reality TV Glutton... I watch everything from The People's Court and Judge Judy to Fear Factor and American Idol to Project Runway and Airline. I think shows like The Littlest Groom, Who's Your Daddy? and The Will are just chum for controversy and end up diluting and demeaning a legitimate form of entertainment, one now recognized by the ATAS.

Keep in mind that moments of Reality TV made many critics Top 10 lists for 2004. Where would be without the inspiring Charla from The Amazing Race?

15. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Extreeme Makeover Home Edition qualifies as reality - If they want to do more of that type I say BRING IT ON.

If they want to do more Bachelorette, I say PUKE!

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What Jason wrote in post #2.

17. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

The only thing that comes close to reality TV that I watch sometimes is Trading Spaces or While you were Gone etc.

I dont even know if thats considered reality TV.

Survivor, Amazing Race etc are all some form of ongoing game show.

American Idol is Star Search revised.

Most of the rest of "Reality Tv" is crap.

Give me 24, Buffy, Family Guy, CSI etc.

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That's exactly it. I was speaking with a TV actor (who works with me now because he can't get work due to reality shows) and he was saying how the studios love reality shows. He was saying that it's cheaper to produce...I watched "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and wondered how they can afford to practically redo someones house each week, but then I looked at the fact that Friends cost 6 million dollars in just the main talent alone, so redoing a house (for let's say $100,000) is SOOOOOO much cheaper for the studios.

Plus, if a show bombs, there are no contracts to finish off, no real costs involved, etc. The studios can just move onto the next "reality" show and pump new ones out until one makes a splash.

Reality shows are almost "risk free". The only problem is, they have to keep inventing new ways to shock people or else they get boring, real fast.

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, yeah. Sturgeon's Law is still in effect.

20. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

[​IMG]