Reality shows and the viewers..the killing of regular shows.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Jan 21, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just read that Boston Public and Jake 2.0 are going on hiatus and being replaced by reality shows. I think reality shows are what is killing many new shows. Most new shows were givin a season or at least 13 episodes before being renewed or cancelled. But, with the higher ratings and relative cheapness of reality shows makes the networks more apt to yank a show before it possibly finds its audience. I am amazed how many shows have episodes that are filmed and never air. For example Firefly (3eps), Miracles(7 epis.)and Veritas (9 epis.). If they are made why not just burn them off. I know they do this, but not as often as they used to.
    I don't blame just the networks. It just seems that right now viewers are just suckered in by reality shows. And I enjoy a few of them. But, it is overkill.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, the networks seem to have a really itchy trigger finger now. If it gets below a certain point, it's done for.

I know that the episodes are 'taped' several weeks before they are aired, and I can see this window shrinking, so that they would lose less if it got dumped and maybe even get the time frame down to just a day or two.

I personally can't stand the reality shows, and hope that it is just a phase that they/we are going through. I keep on waiting for an 'accident' to happen that would result in a serious injury/death (Although this would be horrible.

Do you know if they are covered for that? (And I don't mean the insurance) [​IMG]

Glenn

3. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I also hope the reality trend will be over soon. I thought it would be over by now, but more and more keep coming. Now my hope is that the oversaturation will cause a large backlash. The talent shows don't bother me much, but the dating and survival shows are just getting stupid, because they have to keep coming up with ways to be different.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I don’t think that reality shows are killing shows, but rather cancelled shows are being replaced by shows that are both inexpensive and can be produced quite quickly. Reality shows just happen to fit this profile. But so too do reruns of Law & Order and CSI and the like, which also fill slots of cancelled shows.

I do wish that the networks would give some of these cancelled shows a bit more of a chance without first (in some cases) tinkering with the show (Boomtown and then pulling the trigger before the show had a chance to find its natural audience (The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire).

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, I think Boston Public is being replaced by Wonderfalls, a scripted show. Which isn't a bad idea at all - Wonderfalls looks good and Boston Public absolutely tanks in reruns.

A couple reasons; first, you know there's not going to be much of an audience. Second, the producing studio (in these cases, the same as the broadcaster) may want to keep these episodes in reserve. Being able to put a "3 unaired episodes" sticker on Firefly probably didn't hurt its sales, and unaired episodes probably made VR.5, American Gothic and Strange World worth more to Sci-Fi than they otherwise would have been.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I understand. But, the problem is that a lot of these shows are not going to come out on dvd. And you cannot rely on Scifi channel anymore. They seem to be getting away from airing older scifi shows. As Bonnie Hammer(pres of scifi) said "We really need to move away from that type(scifi) programming. [​IMG]

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Boy am I hoping this reality show thing is a trend like the game show trend in prime time a few years ago.
    Reality shows are cheap to make and people seem to be watching them(though I dont know anyone who is or will admit it for that matter).
    I was reading that recently NBC prempted a Brand new episode of Scrubbs in order to put that new Donald Trump show in its place.
    That's not a good sign.
    What's going to happen after Frasier and Friends leaves the air. More reality shows in their place?

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The day will come when thousands of people will wear cameras with wireless transmitters on their heads, and the networks will randomly switch between the live feeds. And thousands of viewers will have sensors with wireless transmitters embedded in their brains that will tell the networks whether what they are seeing is interesting or boring. And the result will be a reality show that is so real it can't be distinguished from the real reality outside the TV.

But it will still suck.

9. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of reality shows, but I do enjoy my share of them. I can understand people wanting the reality "trend" to be over, so that networks can put out new shows. However, even with the limited opportunities they have now for new shows, they end up giving us more CSI's or Law and Order's. That's 5 hours of air time for basically two shows.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My favorite "reality show" is The Amazing Race, and the only other one I watch is Survivor, but I don't watch any of the other ones, I don't watch much of broadcast TV otherwise anyway, other than the Simpsons and Alias, I tend to watch alot of NatGeo channel, History channel, or any of the number of Discovery channels when I'm watching TV.

I think they're a bit going overboard on these marriage ones..

Jay

11. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

Soon to be six; CBS has greenlighted CSI: New York City.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And NBC's working on another Law & Order, but I suspect that won't be for another year and may be a replacement for Criminal Intent; Vincent D'Onofrio once said he couldn't really imagine doing that for more than five years, and we're getting close to that. As interesting as a show with Katherine Erbe and Samantha Buck as partners might be, I think D'Onofrio has the only really indispensible character for a L&O show.

And I can't speak for CSI, but calling the three Law & Order shows basically the same does them a disservice; they have superficial similarities and are in the same genre, but also have very distinct personalities.

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

14. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I absolutely hate,despise,cannot stomach reality shows. They make me sick and I do agree, they are destroying public television shows. These reality shows are mindless garbage and I hope the public wakes up and stops watching them. The only one I like is Fear Factor, but I look at that as more of a game show then reality show. What has me really worked up right now is the fact that I am rewatching Boomtown on dvd and am absolutely disgusted by the network axing this wonderful show. I think this is one of the best shows that has came out in a very long time. They didn't even give it a chance. I think if they would have ran season 1 again and had a season two it might have picked up a lot more viewers. Then again, maybe it was too deep and too much of an intellectual show for some people to get. After all, if your primary source of entertainment is reality shows, you probably wouldn't get this show anyway. No offense to people who like these shows but I think they are a complete waste of time. I just don't get why America has made such a big deal of these things. Like I will set my TIVO to make sure I get to see the interview with the next Survivor cast away on Jay Leno or whoever has them on there show. Alright, I got that off my chest. I'm off to watch episode 5 of Boomtown now. [​IMG]

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    If I remember correctly, the current growth in reality shows was encouraged by the previous writer's strike. With no writers around to create new material, the networks had to put something on the air.

They realized very quickly the shows were a huge success and they would never have to spend money on a writer for them. In fact, imagine the money they save by hiring a bunch of "volunteers" for the show instead of paying for an ensemble cast where each performer of a hit show can earn half a million just to be on the screen for a lousy five minutes.

16. Michael_CPC

Michael_CPC Agent

It's just a fad. Just like gameshows.

Hey! With the hype around Jeopardy, maybe gameshows will be back in style!

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

[snicker]

The only one I like is "Frontline".

That's not quite true. I also watch "Survivor", though I 'spose that might fall under the "Game Show" sub-genre. OK, ok, I also occasionally tuned into "Single in the Hamptons". But, seriously, I can do without "When Poochie Attacks" or "Bridezilla" or "Drunken Asshole Hotel" or anything having to do with battling pop singers, fashion models, or wannabe-proteges of combed-over gazillionaires.

At the same time, I have a hard time lamenting the absence of new network dramas and sitcoms, most of which are stinking turds, or stinkier derivatives of previously passed turds. "Boston Public" is mentioned here, so I'll use it as an example: it's every bit as vapid and sensationalistic as the worst of the so-called "reality shows" (not to mention "lacking in realism" if that's of any significance - though not to me). I'd say the same about such ratings juggernauts as "CSI". Scripted or no, network fare really and truly sucks for the most part. I have a hard time reserving all my criticism (or praise) for one genre or style over another. There are some good so-called "reality" programs just as there are some good "scripted" programs. But the bad far outweighs the good on both sides.

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Rich, I agree 100%. Some of the best programming right now is in the "reality" genre; "The Amazing Race 5" and "Joe Schmo 2". Also some of the worst: "The Player".

I am so tired of the "reality show" bashing. Just watch something else then! There's "Stargate Atlantis", "The 4400", "Monk", "North Shore" to name a few off the top of my head, and those are just the summer shows airing right now.

I'm especially tired of the bashing by people who then say "Ok, I watch a few but those are good". Well, guess what, that's what those who watch those "bad ones" say too... "Fear Factor" is one of the worst ones in the genre if you ask me, for example.

I'm not even sure that the genre IS killing scripted shows, just moving them to different outlets (ie cable) where there is more creative freedom and more innovation (according to those behind the shows). Also, by requesting ridiculous salaries that could not sustain the profits necessary to compete with the lowcost reality shows, while at the same time demanding that episodes be cut to a minimum, the stars effectively killed the shows themselves.
    When someone gets paid $25M for making 10 hours of TV each year, they can not seriously believe that what they are doing is exactly helping the quality of television...

/Mike

19. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

Keep in mind that good shows were being cancelled BEFORE the reality televison craze. It's nothing new.

20. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Most (not all) reality shows are really just 'game shows':

The Amazing Race : Game show
    America's Next Top Model : Game show
    The Apprentice : Game show
    Big Brother : Game show
    Survivor : Game show
    Average Joe : Game show
    For Love or Money : Game show
    Joe Millionaire : Game show
    Last Comic Standing : Game show
    etc etc etc

They're all playing for some kind of end goal or 'prize', they're game shows.