What's new

Realistic Optimus 900 - any good, and how to repair? (1 Viewer)

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
I have an old pair of Optimus 900 floorstanders that I've used for years. I thought they weren't sounding very good anymore, so I looked under the grill on one and saw that the foam surrounding the woofer had disintegrated! I think I remember reading somewhere that I can fix this. See attached picture...

1) Are these decent speakers, to begin with?

2) What do I need to do to fix the woofer?

Thanks!

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
Thanks. What is the standard for measuring a woofer? If I measure mine at the O.D. of the foam ring, it is slightly larger than 10"... if I measure it at the edge of the mounting ring O.D. it is slightly larger than 12". I'm pretty sure I've read that the Optimus 900 has 12" woofers, but I'd like to know how these measurement conventions work.

Thanks.

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
Actually looks like I need a 12", I asked on a different forum and got directed HERE. Nice chart they have there in case anybody else is wondering about this.

rec42190

Auditioning
Real Name
Rachel
I have those same speakers. How do you get the grill off without ripping it or hurting it too much?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Granted, this is a thread from 2007 that's been revived by the last poster...but am I the only one seeing an image of some silvery snow skis/boots in the OP?!? [/url]

rec42190

Auditioning
Real Name
Rachel
Nope I definitely saw those too. Ha yeah I see that it's an old thread but I looked up the speakers on google and this is what came up. I figures it's worth a shot to ask.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by The111

if I measure it at the edge of the mounting ring O.D. it is slightly larger than 12". I'm pretty sure I've read that the Optimus 900 has 12" woofers, but I'd like to know how these measurement conventions work.

Thanks.
Drivers are measured at the widest point of the frame. Based on your measurements, it is a 12".

Wayne posted some usual fixes but they are cheaper on Ebay. You can fix a pair of 12's for under $10. I'm preparing to re-foam a pair of 12's and four 15's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks