Real World 11 - Chicago location

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Meyer, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

For all you Real World groupies out there, the Chicago location is 1931 W. North Ave in the Wicker Park/Bucktown neighborhood which is about 2 blocks from my house. Move in day was supposedly yesterday.
    Looks like they'll have to do some creative editing to get rid of all the hookers, bums & junkies that inhabit the area (or maybe not). It's definitely the grittiest place they've chosen. I'm sure they are licking their chops at having some white-bread puritan cast member get propositioned on national TV.
    [Edited last by Tom Meyer on July 11, 2001 at 10:14 AM]

2. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

Wow I didn't know they shot them so soon after the previous. From watching RW10 it appears they moved in in Feb, so that means they're out in April/early May (i think). Pretty quick. And I didn't see any promos about signing up or anything. Is that the usual deal? Maybe they are shooting them quicker cause there's so much "reality tv" competition these days. I'm surprised they didn't go to Chicago sooner.

3. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

The reason that they didn't go to Chicago sooner, according to MTV, was that the normally shoot in the fall/winter and were scared of the potential for huge amounts of snow. Indeed, if they had filmed last year, they would have been greeted with about 2ft of snow in mid-December. It makes sense considering NYC and Boston are the only other cities that actually have lots of snow in the winter -- all others (LA, London, SF, Seattle, Miami, NO, Maui) are milder climates.
    So, they made an exception for Chicago to film in the summer/fall, which apparently was a big deal cuz they now needed two production crews working at the same time to put together the NYC & Chicago shows.
    Me, I'm gonna take a stroll on by tonight after work and sit around like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel from the Simpsons and see if I can pick me up one of them MTV girlies [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Tom Meyer on July 11, 2001 at 08:41 PM]

4. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

I would bet that other then a few Wicker Park/Bucktown shots(Damen, North and Milwaukee), most of it will be filmed in the Golden Mile, Rush Street, Lincoln Park and Wrigley areas.
    Steve

5. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

Oh, I don't know about that. There are like 15 bars and about 50 restuarants within 1/2 mile of the building so I doubt they'll bother trodding all the way up to Wrigleyville & Lincoln Park to film Besides, it'd be a friggin' madhouse if they went tried to film at a drunken frat-boy bar like the Gin Mill or any other bar in Lincoln Park. Frankly, it's more likely that people in Wicker Park just won't give a shit about them so they'll probably hang out down here much more often. Also, the building is literally right next door to one of the most popular dance clubs in the city (Red Dog) so I'm sure they'll film there a bunch of times as well. No doubt they'll film a Cub game & the aftermath or something like that but there's plenty of action down here in 60622 [​IMG]

6. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

Tom, Don't get me wrong. I hope they do film in your area. It just seems that the other areas get more attention when it comes to location shoots.
    Steve

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Apparently, Julie from Real World New Orleans was scheduled to be on Flight 11 from Bos to visit her boyfriend in LA. They got into a fight on the phone and she was talked out of taking the flight by a friend.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul