What's new

Real World 10: Back to New York (1 Viewer)

Well I am here to both defend Mike and also scold him.
I am in fact from Parma, OH and attended the same high school as Mike. (I graduated in 98)
I guess I will try and explain why Mike may come across as such a stupid person. Parma is probably 99% white, and is a middle class town. I believe there may have been one african american student at my high school. Along with it being very white, Parma is very ethnic with most of it's inhabitants having grandparents/great grandparents (some who live in Parma)who came from Eastern Europe. One idea is that when these grandparents migrated to Cleveland/Parma working jobs were very competitive and one easy way to hold a lock on a job was to be racist/prejudice.....always worrying about the black person (scapegoat)taking their jobs. Overtime these feelings were just passed down and what is left is the nieveness/prejudism that many people in Parma have.
I will also comment based on some of my friends interactions with "Mike" that he isn't the brightest guy and the only reason he would make the comment "My Uncle Doesn't Hire Black People Because Most Of Them Are Uneducated And Slow," is because he is a Moron. Even if one had feelings (prejudices)like that most people are not stupid enough to say them aloud yet alone on national TV.
I also think that the way the girl won't let the issue go is because she is hung up on it and can't get by it. Mike apologized and she needs to realize how stupid he is and that all his feelings towards African American's is just someone else's that was told to him. I think she is being just as insensitive to Mike's feelings as he was originally to hers but she is doing it on purpose.
Whether or not you guys want to buy my theory or not that is up to you. I have "escaped" many of the prejudices that I was raised with by moving to the University of Cincinnati and living amongst more minorities than caucassions....I still have some so I am not going to be a hiprocrate and say that I completely understand African Americans but I have no problems with living/interacting with them and feel that if given the chance, blacks would have the same social standing as whites.....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe MTV would put such a ignornat moron like Mike on the Real World, but they did, and we get stuck with watching "the knucklehead butt heads with the prima donna" for the rest of season. I sort of feel sorry for Mike in that he's coming across to the viewers as a party dude with a bit of lapdog in him (wanting to please people, but some of them keep popping him on the nose with a newspaper or want to keep rubbing his nose in his ignorant crap). This part of the show isn't even that entertaining at all.
Was it my imagination, or did this week's Real World come on at 9:30 p.m. EST? I set me VCR for 10 p.m. and only got half of the episode, and had that lame "Wannabe" show come on after it on my tape.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I can't believe MTV would put such a ignornat moron like Mike on the Real World, but they did, and we get stuck with watching "the knucklehead butt heads with the prima donna" for the rest of season.

Well, duh ! That's exactly why they did it !!
Just like I'm sure they knew Puck was a freak and Ruthie was a drunk, the cynic in me doesn't put anything past eMpT-V

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
How the hell can anyone, even a network executive, call this the "real" world when TV cameras are thrust in your face??
Well, you really can't call it the "real world" when a network pays for a spacious house/loft/apartment along with the bills, can you? :)
I dunno, this show is an odd thing: I hate it with a passion, yet watch it whenever it's on. Like I can't wait to see who is going to get in an argument next. Maybe it's my Jerry Springer side coming out.
The only season I watched fully was the one in Hawaii, and that was for 2 main reasons: [*]the blonde (named Amaya, I believe?) and her rather stunning chest
biggrin.gif
[*]the wannabe poet brunette (forgot the name...sure Mr. Chmiel can clear that up), just so I could hear what pretentious, holier-than-thou thing she would come up with next
I've seen eps from all the other seasons, and S10 looks no different, just seems to be a few more fights than usual. But it sure is a lot better than the hell that is "Road Rules"...only saw one ep of that, and it looked like a bunch of "Real World" rejects doing stupid things.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
quote: the wannabe poet brunette (forgot the name...sure Mr. Chmiel can clear that up)[/quote]
Kaia. :) And she also got nekked a lot.
biggrin.gif

quote: the blonde (named Amaya, I believe?) and her rather stunning chest[/quote]
You actually liked Amaya (note to other HTF members: she shares the same last name as Mr. Dan Brecher too :))? She was a bit annoying and she always was crying, sucking up to Colin (what the heck ever happened to him), and/or bitching.
------------------
me.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on July 13, 2001 at 04:10 PM]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Matthew,
Look at the line again:
the blonde (named Amaya, I believe?) and her rather stunning chest
Notice how I said "stunning chest," not "stunning personality."
biggrin.gif

You are right, though: she was very whiny and annoying. It also seemed like she always craved attention from somebody as well. Which is a shame, because I remember in the first episodes she was fighting against the "dumb blonde" stereotype which had unfairly been given to her. She seemed rather interesting...until she jumped Colin.
When you get right down to it, NONE of the Hawaii cast was likeable. The only person who I remotely liked was Teck, and even he could get annoying at times. MTV must've sensed this too, because whenever I'm channel surfing and pass through their station, it seems like Teck is hosting every damn show.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks