What's new

Real World 10: Back to New York (1 Viewer)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Doesn't particularly look spectacular... the women are average, the guys typical, except the dude with the huge hair!
Am I the only one tiring of the emphasis placed on conflict on so many shows recently? There was the major racist issue in the premiere episode, and then the teaser for the rest of the season focused on conflict after conflict at the end. If this is what I can expect for the rest of the season, guess I won't be hurrying home to watch it.
------------------
sig.jpg

Van Patton

Second Unit
Im tired of watching these people get in fights and arguments. Puck and that gay black guy from Seattle are king at that.
------------------

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Puck and that gay black guy from Seattle are king at that.
Gay black guy from Seattle = Stephen who is pretty much straight and basically all he did was slap Irene after she called him a homo. After that, the rest of the season focused more on him then anything else.
IMO, Miami is still the best season hands down. You had the best cast which included two bitches (Flora and Melissa), the gay guy (Dan), the "pimp" (Mike), the nerds (Joe and Sarah), and the person who is rarely in the house (Cynthia) and two of the best moments in Real World history (Dan yelling at Melissa over the "envelope" and the shower incident which involved Mike, Melissa, and a waitress).
This season is starting out better than New Orleans and it could be better as it doesn't have much to live up to from the previous season (New Orleans lost me half through and didn't pull me back in till Julie's parents came), and the "This season..." looked intresting even if it's conflict after conflict.
------------------
me.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Matthew, don't mean to crush your groove but...
Wow, Dan the..... man? That dude has to be the most irritating, annoying, and most melodramatic weeny on the face of the earth. He's the main reason I couldn't bear to watch the Miami episodes. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against homosexuals, but he just got on my nerves. Add to that the fact that Flora was a walking advertisement for PMS, and that spells BAD TV.
Personally, I thought the Boston series was the best overall. It had some really cool and diverse people on it and they all got along for the most part. Plus Elka was fine to boot.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
So Elka lives in Vegas huh, well you lucky dog. :)If you happen to see her tell her I said What's up baby.
biggrin.gif

------------------
rock_band.gif

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Well hell, that really puts a kink in my plans. Lucky bastard!!
------------------
rock_band.gif

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
So far I think the show is ok. I try not to judge till a few weeks in. I mean at least there are two cute chicks, Lori and Rachel. Actually Coral is attractive too but I can't get past her attitude/personality. I was hopeing they would split up all the "couples" from the casting special, but they didn't. At least they didn't put Coral and that asian girl together. I didn't like the casting special, it's better when they come in fresh I think.

Ike

Screenwriter
Why is MTV thinking that pairing an unexperienced white guy from Ohio that hasn't come in contact with other cultures with a bitchy hyper-sensitive black person will result in the guy from Ohio liking (or understanding) African-Americans? They knew how she was: during the casting special, she griped someone out for pushing her in the pool.
So, Ohio guy says something that gets twisted (don't get me wrong, it was offensive, but her version sounded much worse than what I believe he was trying to say) by Bitchy Woman, and results in Ohio guy thinking he's a terrible racist. Am I the only one that thinks the street has to go two ways? That Ohio Guy should be sensitive to Bitchy Woman, and for Bitchy Woman to understand that he's not completely versed in what is offensive and what's not?
Real World has to be a guilty pleasure of mine. It's an interesting concept, and I'll take it every day over MTV's fake soap operas (Undressed, and that terrible looking Spyder Games) or CBS's shitty game show versions (Survivor and Big Brother). But MTV has been called on it's formula (naive person, gay person, black person, virgin person, irresponsible person, and detached person) and it still won't pull away from it. In fact, the season has probably followed that closer to a T than any other (despite the absence of any gay cast members-why not?)

Jodee

Screenwriter
So because Coral was offended by the extremely racist thing Mike said, that makes her "Bitchy Woman"? Please. And the reason she was so upset at being pushed in the pool during the casting special is because she almost drowned as a child. Pushing someone in a pool is not a very sensitive thing to do. Neither is asserting that black people aren't educated to your two black roomates.
Mike made an extremely bone-headed comment and to call Coral was "Bitchy Woman" for reacting to it is really unfair and a bit sexist. I think she actually managed to be a lot calmer about it than many people would have.
(I am sorry but I get irritated that any time a woman stands up for herself she is labeled as a "bitch").
And I think Mike is misrepresenting himself as the know-nothing white guy. He comes from Parma, which is a suburb of Cleveland, a pretty big city. For him to play dumb about black people is a little disengenous. He is not exactly from the sticks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mike: I don't like.
I still don't know the names, but the Catherine Zeta-Jones lookalike might head into Fatal Attraction territory if that cancer survivor rebuffs her advances soon.
I like the big afro-dude.
Coral is sort of like Cassandra on Big Brother last season.
The other black female roommate seems like trouble with a big chip on her shoulder.
The virgin is plain embarrassing to watch.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How the hell can anyone, even a network executive, call this the "real" world when TV cameras are thrust in your face??
Shaking my head as I write this.
Look at what MTV has become... a real shame.
Dan

Ike

Screenwriter
quote: So because Coral was offended by the extremely racist thing Mike said, that makes her "Bitchy Woman"? Please. [/quote]
Yes, in part. But including this episode and the casting special, she has already had 3 pretty rude tiffs with other members. Even if they aren't her fault, that at least means she has problems getting along with people.
quote: And the reason she was so upset at being pushed in the pool during the casting special is because she almost drowned as a child. Pushing someone in a pool is not a very sensitive thing to do. [/quote]
No it's not: it's a playful thing to do. How was the guy (who'll I'll just call Ox since I can't remember his name) supposed to know her back story? Ox tried to apologize. Yes, it was annoying way to do it, but she should have realized that there wasn't any way that Ox knew about her fear of water.
quote: Neither is asserting that black people aren't educated to your two black roommates.[/quote]
By expanding on what Mike said, please don't take it as support for it.
But I believe what he was saying was that Urban schools were not very good, that the school system was wrong.
I think in the way he said it, it was a statement of support to Coral and Big-Afro Guy. Yeah, it's a backwards way of showing support, but I believe those were his intentions.
To say Coral took it the wrong way is not correct either; by using the term 'black,' Mike instantly made a generalization. That was wrong. But if he hadn't been around African-Americans much, or other cultures, than how was he supposed to know? Yes, it's offensive from the stand point of a person who knows better, but I don't think he did. (And I don't know what the hell he was thinking when he mentioned his Uncle doesn't hire black people because of their un-education. That was bone-headed. But I think it was more naivety and frame of reference than malice. I think.)
quote: (I am sorry but I get irritated that any time a woman stands up for herself she is labeled as a "bitch").[/quote]
That's not the only reason I called her bitchy woman (plus I couldn't remember her name). She did have 3 fights in two episodes. That's a lot of fights.
MTV is certainly making her out to be the bitch, but with the interviews I've seen her give, I can't say that she's doing much to dispel that characterization.
quote: And I think Mike is misrepresenting himself as the know-nothing white guy. He comes from Parma, which is a suburb of Cleveland, a pretty big city. For him to play dumb about black people is a little disengenous. He is not exactly from the sticks.[/quote]
I'm going on what's presented in the show. (I don't think reality really matters with The Real World).

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
No it's not: it's a playful thing to do.
I don't mean to rag on you Ike, but Playful? Someone tried to push me in the pool several years ago and I damn near split my head open as a result. It's more like stupid, dangerous, rude, very disrespectful, and IMO, deserving of a 12 pack of whuppass. :)
------------------
rock_band.gif

Ike

Screenwriter
Jesus Christ,
It's annoying, but it's not like the guy pulled a knife on her or anything. It was a playful act.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
How the hell can anyone, even a network executive, call this the "real" world when TV cameras are thrust in your face??
Shaking my head as I write this.
Look at what MTV has become... a real shame.
It's been a LONG time since I've seen The Real World, but weren't there allegations that not everything shown is authentic, that conflicts/fights are overemphasized in order to make the show more "interesting"?

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
. . . who'll I'll just call Ox since I can't remember his name
"Ox," LOL. That reminds me of that SNL episode where John Goodman and Chris Farley are both after the same nerd to help them study. Anyway, I haven't formed any strong opinions yet, other than I hate the idea of the casting show. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the show being about "7 strangers" if they already sort of know each other before they get to the house?! It completely ruins the initial period where everyone is meeting eachother and feeling out the situation. Maybe they thought the cast would already have some preconceived notions and could get to the controversy earlier this way.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
It completely ruins the initial period where everyone is meeting each other and feeling out the situation.
I totally agree. The casting special was not necessary. I think they just wanted to get another show out of it. They did a casting special for that stupid Undressed show too(who watches that?).
So far I'm liking the show. That Coral is such a bitch. She looks hotter to me every episode though. I liked how Malik's friend was defending Mike. That seemed to shut her up a bit.

Ike

Screenwriter
Yeah, even if she has a temper, Coral is a looker. (Maybe that's why she's got such a temper?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks