What's new

Real Time with Bill Maher (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
Either way, I gotta give him credit for speaking truthfully and having the balls to make himself appear "off the deep end" at times. That's what makes the show interesting, especially when he says things that are typically taboo to say.
That's fine. I'm not being a prude-I'm saying his point was very, very stupid, and seemed like he was intentionally trying to go back to his misogynistic routine. There is absolutely no connection between child birth and soldiers being hypothetically tortured. It was a riff off of his old "America has been feminized" routine, and it was not strong, smart, or coherent what he was actually shooting for. He's using broad stereotypes of a huge population to make what I'm sure he thinks is a genuine point. If it was just a joke, that'd be fine, but he sadly thought he was really hitting on something deep.

Again, I like the show, and I like Maher 75% of the time. It's just that I require my misogyny a little more well thought out, that's all. :D

LennyP

Supporting Actor
No, he was just saying that women can take much more pain than given credit for and that most men couldn't. Then one of the panel members brought up soldiers, NOT Maher, and he essentially said that soldiers trained to withstand torture is as close as it gets to the pain women experience during child birth, and that generally men are pussies. That's all.

Ike

Screenwriter
No, he was just saying that women can take much more pain than given credit for and that most men couldn't. Then one of the panel members brought up soldiers, NOT Maher, and he essentially said that soldiers trained to withstand torture is as close as it gets to the pain women experience during child birth, and that generally men are pussies. That's all.
I think we saw two different shows, because that's not how I remember it all. In fact, I remember him calling his panel "pussy-whipped" for not agreeing with him. Ted Rall made a point close to the one you describe.

Anyone have a transcription?

LennyP

Supporting Actor
He definetly called the panel pussy-whipped, that was good. :emoji_thumbsup:

I deleted my recording already.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

That's how I saw it too. He wasn't saying that men could endure more pain, but that women got far too much credit for it (I have no idea if this is true, and neither does Maher). His misogony has always been very blatant and puzzling, and this was just another case of it. That's one of the two things I don't like about him (the other being that he too frequently interrupts guests to make his points).

/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Miller is one of the guests tonight by the way. Last time on Leno he was less embarrassing than his previous appearances, and actually managed to say something funny... we'll see how many "The French are stupid" jokes he can crack tonight.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
You may want to wait until other topics are discussed before you claim Bill Maher has changed. He hasn't. He's been saying the same stuff since P.I., and I'm sure when a topic like Second Hand Smoke comes up, he'll differ greatly from the standard "liberal" view.

The notion of left vs. right is too limiting; you might also consider authoritarian vs. libertarian. Bill might have always been a left-leaning libertarian.

If Maher would ever take a true Libertarian position it would be worth watching because he would be the first and only one on TV.

About the only thing that could get me to tune in again is if he had Michael Savage on as a guest. Both ends of the idiot spectrum would be covered. Of course he would have to deck Savage out in the Hannibal Lecter outfit. These two guys would literally tear into each other. It would be great.

KenBix

Auditioning
Dennis Miller was great last night, the Jimmy Carter stuff was priceless.

The comedian last night was by far the worst one so far.

I like this show better than PI, because the panel is more evenly split and that makes the debates
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
better.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Have you guys watched the new season?

They have unfortunately gotten rid of Paul F Tompkins and the guest appearances at the end of each episode. While I don't miss the stuff at the end, I do miss Paul F Tompkins' commentary.

I still enjoy the show though. :)

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Possibly stupid question: is this show ever on at a decent hour on HBO-west? I don't have a vcr hooked up to the TV with HBO access, and don't feel like staying up until 2am or whenever...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The new season starts up tonight, for those interested. :)

I didn't know Ron Silver was involved in politics, what has he been advocating/protesting? I guess I'll find out, maybe. :)

/Mike

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Ron Silver used to be the President of Actor's Equity, a big theatrical union. He's mostly liberal but supported the war on Iraq.

He's been a frequent guest on PI and RT.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
God this episode was horrid. Bill was really off tonight and the audience seemed like it was asleep. I loved the Moby interview, he must have been high because there is no was that someone can be so dull. Its impossible. Sharpton was great but Silver is a real jackass.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it was just a little too early for Bill. Did it start at 5 PST or 6? That's cutting into happy hour, right? Or maybe it's too soon after Bill's 4:20 nap? (I won't get to see it until later this week.)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Hehe, I agree, plus his appearance was rather pointless. What was he there to talk about?

I liked the panel, but Ron Silver should have spoken up more. I really like that Issa guy.

Bill is too nice to the presidential candidates.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For those who enjoy this show, it's back! Last night (Friday, July 30) was the first new show, which I'm sure HBO will repeat multiple times in the coming week. New shows every Friday at 11pm (Eastern) through the beginning of November.

Last night's panel was Michael Moore, Rep. David Dreir and former Canadian Prime Minster Kim Campbell. Others guests were Gov. Bill Owens, Andre 3000 and, making a return visit, Ralph Nader.

Format appears to be unchanged from the broadcasts earlier this year, which I thought was good.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks