What's new

real time movie (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
High Noon, a western movie from the 50s. It's about a small-town sherriff who is going to have a gunfight with some guys who are just getting out of prison that he put there in the first place. It takes place from about 10 AM to after the fire fight, I think. I saw it 3 years ago, very good movie.

BTW, all the clocks in the movie are set for the right time, which was very neat.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Technically, Alfred Hitchcock's Rope must have taken place in real time - the long takes and absence of any editing means that time must have passed at the same rate as shown. Of course, it does mean that two guys must have committed a murder, set up for a party, held a party that ran for at least two courses, had the party finish, and then have the murder discovered
all within 80 minutes, but that doesn't matter. Real time is never terribly convincing anyway (just look at 24 - I love the show, it's brilliant, but the real time aspect doesn't really work).

Timecode also happens in real time.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The original (5 hour +) version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was supposed to be in real time, but is lost forever.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Several other films that occur in real time are:

The Set-Up
Cleo From 5 To 7
A Single Girl

I believe a case could also be made for Lola Rent ( Run Lola Run )

- Walter.

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator
Running Time with Bruce Campbell. An action movie attempting to appear to be all one shot. The cuts are well hidden (even if it's obvious where they occur) and it plays in real time. The movie is entertaining but more interesting from a technical standpoint, and a counterpoint to the Michael Bay style action movie. The DVD is well put together by Anchor Bay and has a decent commentary with Campbell and the director.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Not quite real time, but all the events in Training Day happened within one very busy day.

And I think the events in Dog Day Afternoon took place within a day too.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Plenty of films take place in a single day. And some come close to real time—High Noon’s running time is less than an hour and a half, is not enough time for the events to unfold. Walter has a good list and Matthew with The Rope and Al with Running Time have good entries with films that try to simulate a single take of real time (as captured by the camera).

Russian Ark is for right now, the champ, as it is so real time that its 96 minutes was done in a single take from one camera.

Now that is real time.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
For a really cool, if somewhat frustrating, real time flick, take a look at Time Code , dir. by Mike Figgis. Really interesting experimental filmmaking, if not wholly successful.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Phone Booth! That's an excellent movie!

BobV

Second Unit
I was reading through this thread and was thinking... what about Phone Booth?? Then I read the last post :) . good one Tony-B.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Phone Booth! That's an excellent movie!
And it is at this point that we all feel stupid - especially given the presence of Kiefer Sutherland, star of the show that really popularised the concept of real-time.

Hell, two people mentioned the awful Timecode (and I was one) before anyone mentioned Phone Booth.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
In Leon (The Professional), Oldman's character says he'll show up at noon. The day it takes place, we see a clock that says 11:58, the following sequence takes exactly two minutes, and he and his men show up. Also, it's just a great all-around movie.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Phone Booth!

The whole thing isn't real time, maybe most of the middle part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks